WP html editor using page id for internal links

I’m doing some major work on a WordPress site I created a couple of years ago. I copied it to a development server using BackupBuddy. I’ve just noticed that the html editor is writing all the internal links with page IDs rather than page names. Everything works correctly and the IDs are transformed to page names in the source code, but I don’t remember ever seeing this before.

My big concern is that we’re going to turn this into multisite and clone the main site in order to create translated versions. If something is screwy now, I need to straighten it out.

Permalinks are using month and name. The pages' slugs are the right page name. I've reverted to the default permalinks and then back to the ones I'm using with no effect.

My deadline for getting the site back up is this Friday, so I'm in a big rush too, with a lot of last minute work.

  • Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

    Let me make sure I'm following you correctly, all of the links in your page/post editor are using Page IDs?

    The good news is that if you click on a link that goes to a page/post's ID, it will automatically redirect to the URL that you have dictated in the permalinks settings.

    The bad news is there isn't a way to automatically go through and change all the link URLs to match what's in your permalink settings.

  • flojnel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

    It does work, which is fine, but every new link I add uses the ID. Not knowing why this is happening, I'm concerned it could
    1. slow the site down
    2. cause unforeseen problems when I convert the site to multisite

    Any guesses as to what could be causing the issue and whether it could result in real problems down the road?

  • Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

    Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

    As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

    If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

    Cheers!
    Tom

  • flojnel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for the inquiry. I haven't found a solution to this. The editor keeps writing the links with IDs. Of course everything works, so it's not a crisis, but I worry it will cause issues in the future, especially since I'm about to add to the complexity of the site by going to multisite and translations.

    Haven't found anyone with any experience with the issue or any guesses as to what could be causing it.

    Flo

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings Flo,

    Knock, Knock - Housekeeping --> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

    If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

    If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

    Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

    Cheers, Joe

  • flojnel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

    Well, never resolved, but not a big problem. Still using IDs in the editor but definitely working everywhere publicly and the client is OK with IDs internally. Doesn't seem to make any difference with functionality.

    Thanks for checking.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.