WP isn't initiating identical slug error

Haven't ever seen this before. Tried lots of different searches but couldn't find anything, so hoping that the WPMU heros may know what the issue is.

Basically, I'm not seeing "this slug is already in use" errors when creating new posts or pages with slugs that have already been used.

So we have "inspiration" as a page and then someone created "inspiration" as a post, but WP didn't automatically slug it with "inspiration-2" as is the norm.

Any ideas what could be interfering with this? Definitely not a plugin as I've disabled all of those and the problem persists.

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I have tested it on my own site and its creating slug with appending numbers if its already exists like the normally WordPress does. You can see in screenshot. This is on WordPress Multisites version 4.3.1.

I also tested on WordPress 4.3.1 single site and the results are different this time. It created with exact same slug with page. On frontend when I view both then page is being displayed of that slug instead of post, page is given higher priority.

But one thing was common that I have not given "this slug is already in use" message. So its not WordPress.

You said you have disabled all plugins, have you also switched to default WordPress theme ? Also may be a script in your mu-plugins folder may be generating this error ?

One more question have you tested on a different WP install ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.