WP Multisite Admin Login issues

I have a WP multisite with a base domain (ex. wp.mysite.com). There are ~8 different sub-sites on this multisite.

I have no problems logging in on sites with their own domain (ex site1.mysite.com, site2.mysite.com, site3.mysite.com).

Trying to log into wp.mysite.com/wp-admin or wp.mysite.com/site4/wp-admin redirects (most of the time) back to wp.mysite.com/wp-login.php. Logins succeed about 20% of the time, and it doesn't matter who is logging in (we have some users that login using Active Directory credentials & some who log in using WP username/pw).

This just started happening on an install of WP that's been active for a few years. No major changes have been made. I've attempted disabling plugins & going back to the base theme. A clone of the site (on a different domain) doesn't exhibit the same issues.

Could this be a domain issue instead of a WordPress issue?

We're currently running WordPress 3.9.1. Using plugin Active Directory Integration for the AD Credential Logins (tested with and without this plugin active with the same results).

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Melanie, Valencia College OIT Webservices

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Melanie,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

This surely sounds like a strange issue since you are not experiencing this on your other installation with the same setup.

Does the clone site has the same WP installed or did you install fresh WP and then cloned everything there?

Is this issue browser specific or does it happen on any browser you try?

Did you try restoring to previous backup to see if it's happening then so you can see if something that you installed in the meantime could be causing it?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• vcwebservices
    • Flash Drive

The "clone" was a clone of the entire server - all configurations/plugins/etc were the same as our PROD instance (except domain name - we moved to a DEV subdomain). However, there may have been a few configurations changed on PROD that haven't been made on the CLONE. Or the PROD subdomain is having routing issues that the DEV subdomain is not having.

This issue happens in any browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox & Safari) on multiple systems.

I haven't tried restoring a backup, yet. I will need to test that, next.

I have a suspicion that there may be an issue with the routing on the domain (there has been in the recent past) that may have nothing to do with the WordPress setup, so I'm investigating that with our Networking team as well.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.