WP Multisite - New Site Server Not Found

I've just installed a fresh version of the latest WordPress release and modified it to support WordPress Multisite.

Everything is running smoothly, except when I try to visit a newly created site. My http://primary.com domain is operating great, but when I try to access the dashboard or visit the subdomain of a newly created site, I get a "Server Not Found" error message.

Any suggestions?

• aecnu

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for the great question and sorry to see that you are having issues with your fresh install.

When I tried to trace the domain primary.com the domain comes up as unresolvable.

Are you sure the name servers are pointed correctly to your host or is this a bogus domain name and I was chasing ghosts?

To even begin to start to figure out issues like this real domain names are necessary to trace them out and try to find what the issue is which is commonly one of the following:

DNS issues to include not putting an asterisk in the DNS records or having a static IP but not a dedicated IP.

If this is indeed the real domain name mentioned above then the issues are serious and need to start at the domain name registry with the name servers set correctly.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for the additional input, for mentioning the domain name which helps, and for checking out the htaccess files as well.

Ok your hosting at Host Gator a.k.a. The Planet and your on a none dedicated IP shared with many other sites:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—59 domains hosted on IP address 174.120.82.90
    Web Site
    80srocknroll.com
    alpha-thoughts.com
    andrewdollard.com

AND 56 other domains…

Therefore domain mapping via "A" records are out which require a dedicated IP but this certainly does not explain why your sub sites are not working.

With the "*" record addition they should indeed be working.

Is this a sub domain installation or sub directory install?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Jeff,

I had to access my htaccess file for another ticket and thought of your installations issue and thought i would pop over here and add my htaccess file as well:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

This is from a Sub Domain installation.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Jeff,

Happy to see that we are moving forward with your WordPress installation and that your issue in this case is resolved with the htaccess I posted - I love it when a plan comes together.

Regarding the number of sites and Dedicated IP question, this is not relevant to how many sites you can host at all.

It comes down to Domain Mapping to need a Dedicated IP then this could be two sites.

I think there is some confusion between dedicated IP and dedicated server.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.