WP New User email not being sent

I discovered this issue while building a site with Membership 2 Pro and had thought my upgrade to Membership 2 Pro had caused the issue; but am now wondering if it's related to the recent update of WordPress. I say that, because I've noticed a lot of WP users have had this same issue.

The site had been sending new user registration emails (username & password reset) without a problem, then suddenly stopped.

I do get an admin notification email of a new user.
Membership 2 Pro also sends an automated "Signup Completed with Payment" (and "Free Membership") email.
So the site IS sending emails, just not new user registration emails.

I noticed some people suggested trying the following plugins.

I've tried WP-MAIL-SMTP plugin. It didn't help.
I've tried Easy WP SMTP plugin. It didn't help.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Don

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Don,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The fact that the Membership 2 mails a getting delivered means that obviously WP is sending e-mails, so SMTP is not a solution here.

I've tested it on my own site with Membership 2 enabled and disabled and in both cases I received initial (activation) e-mail, so I think the reason here may be some kind of plugin/theme conflict or some specific setting.

I have visited the only site you've granted access to, hopefully this is the one :slight_smile: I've noticed that you're currently using Wordfence, iThemes Security and WP Optimize plugins. That said, I'd start with disabling them completely as they may interfere here.

If it helps, start enabling them again one-by-one and if it doesn't please disable all the plugins and then enable them back one-by-one. This should give us an idea on what's causing a conflict there and point us in a right direction for further investigation.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Don

Hi Adam,

Thank you. I had previously done what you suggested and didn't find the source of the issue; I don't know why I didn't see it, but this time I spotted something.

It seems there's a conflict between Gravity Forms/User Registration plugin and an extended plugin for Directory that we had a developer build months ago. It had been working fine, so I don't know yet what the conflict is. If I can figure it out, I'll try to remember to report back here, so in the odd event somebody else experiences this, maybe something I find can be useful.

Don

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.