WP Single Site vs. Multisite for user sync

Hello,

I've never used WordPress multisite.

I'm using Wordpress single sites and I want to sync users and accounts more easily.

On my hosting account I have the main account as the root WP site in the CPanel.

All other sub sites (each with their own domain names) are of course installed in subfolders directly under the root.

Master Site
/ sub site 1
/ sub site 2
/ sub site etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop and start over with all sites setup as WordPress multi sites--if that will let my users login once and have access to all sites.
As a note I use CMS Commander and ManageWP to manage many WordPress websites (including these), and I don't want to end up with an issue because of WP multisites.

Additionally I use s2Member Pro as my membership and content management tool.

I'm open to advice.

The biggest problem is I don't know what I don't know about WP multisite, and I'm afraid of building everything out again and discovering I've painted myself into a horrible corner I can't see today. For some reason I get the feeling that WP multisite is going away. And the last thing I want to do is try and move forward with a legacy tool.

Thanks,

Chris

• anotheropus

Hello and thank you Pali and hpidriver,

Pali, I don't see much talk about Multisite. I'm hip deep in Wordpress single site every day as a personal user (of MANY single site WP installs). Literally every day I go through dozens of emails, dozens more sites, dozens of plugin reviews, themes, etc--just about anything going on with WordPress. I'd guess I hit more than 100 WP items a day on average. I never read anything about Multisite in the (perhaps narrow) Internet marketing world where (I think) everyone uses stand alone WordPress single sites.

I'm at a heck of a crossroads here though... I've already installed over 40 WP single sites, including the "master" single site, and I've started to build out the sites with content, advertising, and a whole lotta time and sweat equity. And the User Sync plugin just doesn't make life easy with people updating their profiles, upgrading or downgrading their membership, and there doesn't seem to be a way to handle a single sign on (as in a new user registers--at the master site--then needs to login again at a sub site, and again at another sub site, etc. And maybe there's something I missed but, it seems the user sync plugin doesn't sync member roles/capabilities (out of the box). I think I saw one person, in a WPMUDEV support thread, who added a member roles type of plugin and did some SQL work and got things the way they wanted it--but I want to use WP out of the box and not work on manual tweaks and eclectic adaptations. We all know what happens when a new version roles out!

So, If I'm going to do a complete export of posts and pages from all the sites, then uninstall WP and re-install WPMU on all these sites... (ugh!) I'd really love to know that when WP goes 3.5 next week that MU will be there also.

hpidriver,

Thank you for the info and the link.

From what you said, does the user login and access mean they can log into all blogs, or that they can log into one blog and then have a logged in status to all subordinate blogs on the MU network?

Thank you again guys... I'm feeling the pressure because of all the work I've done and all the work I see I might now need to do. I understand in the end it will be worth it if MU will manage all users, roles, capabilities, sign ons, etc without having to cobble together things the way I'm doing now! :slight_smile:

Warmest,

Chris

• Paul Barthmaier

Believe me, Chris, I feel you on this. It's hard to know sometimes which way to go, but honestly for me, I don't even think about doing single installs. Even if I only have one blog that is public, I'll still go with multisite so I can have private space for planning or admin purposes. Weird, huh?

Back to your situation, I'm not seeing any reason to keep 40 separate sites, databases, copies of plugins, etc, especially if you want the users to have access to other sites.

• anotheropus

Hey Pali,

Thank you for the continued dialogue.

Can you help a little bit more and save Google the trouble of me bothering them for a few hours? :slight_smile:

There is a soup bowl full of factors on this one with several cornerstones in my "Creative Cornerstone Soup" of the day. And while I'm making metaphor soup of this I'll add one more for fun; I need to carefully dance around my actual work because it's essential it rolls out privately... and here I'm laying out lots of my business plan for the world to gawk at.

Cornerstone One: Domain Name Relationships

All the domain names have a name relationship and are separated by categories. And I got one master name ("...one name to rule them all...").

E.g.

Containers-Master.tld
    / boxes-sub.tld
    / bags-sub.tld
    / bowls-sub.tld
    / this-sub.tld
    / that-sub.tld
    / etc.

Where each unique domain name will point, as indicated, to a sub site.

I'm not too concerned about the fickle Google Gods and their assessment of the value of each domain vis-a-vis each domain's (site's) relationship to each other. I have superlative, deep content and well, it is what it is.

I am concerned that I'll be able to point domain names to the subsites (I don't know what I don't know).

Cornerstone Two: Unique Forums

Each domain name has an instance of a Simple-Press forum installed in it (uniquely related to the domain's "container." One forum to rule them all would be too huge, too deep, too broad and potentially loaded with 1,001 categories--ergo a useless forum.

So each site requires it's own forum.

Cornerstone Three: Cloning for rapid development.

I've got a few tools I use and I've tested, and tested and refined and refined a base which I keep updated with all my plugins and themes, and base pages, forms, et al.

I use this base clone to RAPIDLY frame out a complete WordPress website framework. I can have a turn-key, ready for content and ads website in under three minutes.

In fact the only thing slowing me down and making me pull my hair out on this cornerstone it that the genuinely wonderful people at CPanel (with whom I've corresponded on this) see no point in letting me or you BULK/BATCH addon domains and BULK/BATCH install WordPress single sites. Which is a bit ironic because they see the value in letting us bulk/batch add email names and email forwards.

SIDEBAR

NOTE TO WOULD BE RICH PLUGIN/APP DEVELOPERS: Create a tool which hooks into CPanel and allows us carbon based life units to bulk/batch Addon domain names and bulk/batch install WordPress sites by simply uploading a CSV and clicking the big, green GO button*.

Do this and MANY people will help you retire early, nominate you for Pulitzer, Nobel, Grammy, Emmy, Oscar, Honor d' Merit, the German Cross, Hero of the Soviet Union, Theisman, Olympic Gold, etc.

* CPanel already does this with email addresses.

Imagine...

bulk-addon-domains.csv [domainname.com,foldername]

bulk-add-wordpress.csv [domainname.com, foldername, admin name, admin pass, sitename, site-tagline,etc]

You know, "Give a man a million dollars and you create a frustrated billionaire. Give a man a CPanel and you create a frustrated world wide web dominating, WordPress creating, oligarch." :slight_smile:

Cornerstone X: Things I'm not aware of today.

This variable cornerstone could also be called the "Oops I've done it again, my oh my but the view of the paint from this corner looks so familiar," Cornerstone :slight_smile:

Thank you for your support and insights Pali and friends.

Warmest,

Chris

• anotheropus

hpidriver,

Here in my.utopia.com I want both:

a. All users can log into all subordinate blogs with the same roles and capabilities..

b. Once a user logs into one blog they're logged into all blogs for the session.

and

c. Any change made to a user profile (e.g. role, email, password, et al.) is automatically the same for the user across a sites.

Does anybody know if this is true for my scenario above with many domains on a WordPress multisite install?

E.g.

Containers-Master.tld
    / boxes-sub.tld
    / bags-sub.tld
    / bowls-sub.tld
    / this-sub.tld
    / that-sub.tld
    / etc.

Where each unique domain name will point, as indicated, to a sub site.

Thank you,

Chris

• anotheropus

I found my own answer.

When I was looking for how/where to install plugins I was on the dashboard of the new domain I'd just installed as the root WPMU.

And since I'm just learning how to ride this bicycle I didn't know that there was another area where plugins are installed at the Network level.

So anyone who is new to WPMU, after you install the site, up in the top of the dashboard, go to My Sites > Network Admin > Dashboard.

In this world you'll see a Plugins menu item on the dashboard that allows you to install plugins on the network you've created.

Don't do what I did :slight_smile: I went to My Sites > [my site title] > Dashboard... and when I went to Plugins I thought the installation didn't work! :slight_smile:

Warmest,

Chris

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi Chris,

I wanted to check in to see how things are going. Hope you're enjoying the flexibility of Multisite. Remember, too, that we have a reference manual here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/

Let us know if you need more help! If you're all good on this issue, then, I'll just mark this as resolved. Please feel free to reopen if we missed something.

Cheers,
    Paul

• anotheropus

Hello Pali,

Thank you for the link--and WOW!

I need to rewind the tape and play it back again, only this time I'm a huge convert to WPMU.

I discovered so many useful features with it. And one of the best factors is that I can use SO MANY MORE WPMUDEV plugins now!

And as many people know the problem with more plugins is trying to tune everything and keep the plugins to under 100 running at the same time :slight_smile:

Pali, thank you for the link. I'll be living there now.

Warmest,

Christopher

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.