WP Smush Breaking Site

Whenever I try to install the WP Smush plugin through WordPress or zip file it's breaking my WordPress back end and also my public facing site. If I try to install plugin through WPMU Dashboard it says 500 server error.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Justin,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Please follow these steps:

1. Go to "Plugins -> All plugins" page and look if there's "WP Smush" (that'd be the free version available from wp.org repository) installed on the site; if yes then please deactivate and delete it.

2. Go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" page and click on "System Info" button, then switch to the "WordPress" tab and scroll the page all the way down

3. Check the value of "WP_MEMORY_LIMIT" there (not to be confused with WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT!) and if it says anything lower than 256 or at least 128M please add this line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

This line should be placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing... */" line.

4. Clear site's and server's caches (if there are any) and try installing the plugin again.

If it still doesn't work, please add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

Put them above the "/* That's all, stop... */" line too. Once they are there try enabling the plugin again. That won't make it work but should generate the "/wp-content/debug.log" file so please download the file, rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your replay here. Hopefully it will show us what is happening on the site.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.