Wp Smush can you unsmush photos?

I smushed my photos and now the quality on my post's photos are not the quality I want. Any way to unsmush them?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Julian,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Standard smushing with "super-smush my images" option disabled shouldn't cause any noticeable image quality decrease as it's only removing invisible data (some information from the file that are not used to render image anyway) and performs lossless compression. Therefore I assume the "super-smushing" has been enabled, is that right?

To "restore" images, please go to the "Media -> WP Smush" page and see if "Include my original full-size images" option is disabled. It should be "grayed out".

If it is disabled, disable the "Super-smush my images" option as well in order to avoid quality decrease in future and then:

- go to "Plugins -> All plugins" page and disable (you don't need to remove it) WP Smush plugin temporarily

- use this plugin to regenerate "thumbnails":

https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails-advanced/

"Thumbails" in this case mean all images in your Media Library because when you upload an image WordPress creates additional images out of that original one and those images are used in posts. The plugin will process them, taking an original image as a source and re-creating necessary images in Media Library.

Since it's a crucial process, I would strongly suggest taking a backup of Media Library files first as there's always a slight risk that something might go unexpectedly wrong. To do this, please access the site via FTP and simply download the "/wp-content/uploads/" folder.

Once images are regenerated, you may run Smush again on them but this time with "super smush my images" option disabled and that should process them with no noticeable quality decrease.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Julian,

Even though post and slider images are the same one it's not actually the same thumbnail of the same image, slider uses original image size (2048x1365) and post featured image is using 900x500 thumbnail.
    When you upload image to WP it will create thumbnails that are defined by your theme and plugins and then use different thumbnail size depending on where the image is added.

This shouldn't affect the quality much but do keep in mind that featured images are smaller than slider and that could be why you're seeing it bit differently.

I'm not actually sure that I see any major difference though, but could you upload one of the images again while auto-smush is disabled so we can compare original vs smushed image?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.