WP Smush image compressing - gtmetrix showing 0 score for image optimization

I installed the WP Smush plugin and have losslessly compressed all the images on my site, of which there are 5200 right now. The plugin tells me that all images have been compressed. However, when I run my gtmetrix report, it's giving me a 0 score for optimizing images. I've pasted the link to the gtmetrix report below. There are 2 types of images I'm seeing in the report: (1) regular recipe photos which seems really strange because I would have thought he plugin should optimize these automatically, and (2) images relating to my theme that are NOT found in my media library. Assuming the WP Smush plugin can't access those images, how the heck do I compress them?

Thanks for the help

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/chelseasmessyapron.com/O6XNTfEH

• Chelsea

Okay I've done a bit more digging, and (1) regular recipe images, I've noticed the plugin isn't optimizing 2 custom file sizes: 227 x 227 and 124 x 187. I see them show up in the list of available image sizes to compress, and when I check the box to compress them they aren't compressed, and then when I reload the page the boxes are unchecked. I've tried this about a dozen times.

So my 2 questions are: (1) Why aren't those image sizes compressing? and (2) how can I compress the images embedded in my custom theme?

Thanks!

• Dimitris

Hey there Chelsea,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Why aren't those image sizes compressing?

I just tried to include some custom image sizes using the following lines in functions.php of my test child theme and Smush seemed to include these with success.

add_image_size( 'custom-size', 227, 227 );
    add_image_size( 'custom-size-2', 124, 187 );

I guess is your active theme that includes these sizes, is that right?
    Please advise on which theme you're using, if it's a free/commercial one.

Could you please grant us support access to your site to better inspect its setup? You can do so via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin as described in our manual page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

how can I compress the images embedded in my custom theme?

Unfortunately this can't be done, at the moment, as it's a feature that is going to be included in a future release. :slight_smile: Currently, you can:
    1. download any images from theme and maybe other plugins
    2. upload them via Media library in order to be smushed
    3. change images in theme/plugins with smushed ones
    Please keep in mind that this solution doesn't protect you after theme/plugins updates and the whole procedure should be done again.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

HellTim Chelsea

Thanks for all the help Dimitris - fortunately I was able to resolve my first question with your help - phew.

I'm really glad you sorted that out! :slight_smile:

Can you tell me how to download the images from the theme? I've been searching through everything and can't find a way to do this.

This can be done via your browser or a FTP client.
    1. Use the image URL in your browser, like this one
    http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/wp-content/themes/ChelseaTheme/images/Apron.png
    and then save the image with Ctrl+S (or cmd+S for Mac users).
    2. Connect in your server via FTP (or another file manager through cPanel) and download any image files locally.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.