WP Smush Not Resizing/Reducing Upon Upload

Hello,

We just recently noticed for some reason WP Smush Pro will not reduce image size and optimize upon adding large images into the media library. We checked numerous times at the settings which are set to do so: http://jmp.sh/aCz2860

However, we can manually bulk and individual images. Is it possible that WP Smush Pro is not working properly because our wp-admin is under VPN? If so, is there IP ranges we could whitelist? We also have security policies for our websites (instances = RDS) and perhaps we might also need to whitelist inbound IP ranges there too.

If WP Smush Pro does not rely on any direct connection for file optimization upon upload, is there any other reasons it might not be working?

Thank you so much

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Eckerd,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Doesn't the plugin optimize only large images or all of them? Did it work well previously or is it this way since you started using it? Let me know please.

Could you also please run WP debugging on WP Smush? To do this, please enable debugging by adding following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true);

These lines should be located above the "/* That's all, stop editing! */" line. Once they are there, please try running bulk smushing and/or uploading some large images and then

- download the "debug.log" file from the "/wp-content" folder of your site
    - rename the file to "debug.txt"
    - attach it to your replay here.

As for how the plugin works. It is sending images to our cloud processing app and then fetches it from there so a two way communication between servers (your site and our cloud) has to be allowed. That usually works fine but it's possible that in this case some additional steps (like opening ports and/or white listing IPs) may be necessary but I'd like first to check the debug.log.

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

• Eckerd

Hi,

It used to work before moving to AWS I believe (which we have it way more secured, I had to whitelist other WPMU IP's to get uptime monitor and another plugin working correctly). So I was wondering if the same could be true for WP Smush Pro. I usually have to whitelist certain IPs for other plugins such as WP Rocket too when we moved to AWS.

Upon upload, nothing happens to the image, only if I go to the image itself or run a bulk smush on a particular sub-site. I will run the debug and post my finding but I have a feeling there is a handshake problem going on if it does require a connection.

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Eckerd!

Thank you for your replay.

I think that you are right about that and I just asked our WP Smush Pro team to let me know about IPs/user agents that should be white-listed. I'll update this thread as soon as I got a replay from them.

It would be however great if you could provide WP debugging results anyway so we made sure that this is the issue :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.