WP Smush Plugin not doing a great job on site


I have used WP smush on a site but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference to the site. I have been checking the stats on GTmetrix aswell.

Any ideas

  • Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

    Hey Dazzler,

    Hope you’re doing well today :slight_smile:

    I had a look at your site and the results in GTMetrix and I see some strange results in there.

    GTMetrix is reporting 100×50 thumbnails as the ones that are not optimized.

    However when I check WP Smush settings and the option for which images to optimize there’s no this thumbnail mentioned anywhere.

    So, even if those thumbnails are in the uploads folder they are not registered by WordPress and are not the part of the library itself, so Smush can’t read them as well in order to optimize them.

    Why this is happening I’m not sure, it’s most likely your theme or one of the plugins that are creating this thumbnail but not using the default WordPress functionality for that and thus not making them the part of the WordPress itself once the original image is uploaded.

    It would be best to check this with the plugin/theme developer and see why they are not added as other thumbnails.

    If this is not possible to change then you can gather all your 100×50 thumbnails and add them in a new folder in your WP installation.

    Then go to WP Smush and use directory smushing and select that folder to optimize all the images from there.

    After that restore the images to their original location and that should do the trick.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,


  • Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

    Hi Dazzler,

    “Force Regenerate Thumbnails” shouldn’t be causing this, regenerate thumbnails plugins all work in pretty much same way, they see what thumbnails are registered by your theme/plugins and when you run the process it takes the original image and re-create those thumbnails.

    But since 100×50 doesn’t seem to be one of the registered thumbnails your regenerate plugin shouldn’t be doing anything with it as well.

    I was doing some further investigation and it looks like the issue is with Revolution slider and the way it creates thumbnails for the navigation.

    It creates the images but it doesn’t register them in WP, the thing that I was referring to before.

    Now, it looks like that it allows to enter different size for that thumbnail and if we enter a size of an existing thumbnail (the one that is registered properly in WP) it should use that thumbnail and thus it should use optimized image.

    You have these ones registered so try using one of those values: 50×50, 150×75, 85×85 and 80×80.

    Your navigation thumbnails holder is 44×44 so setting 50×50 should do the trick.

    You can set navigation thumbnail size by going to Slider Revolution and editing your existing slider.

    In there expand Navigation options in the sidebar, switch to Thumbs tab and scroll down to Preview Image Size to change the thumbnail size.

    Let us know how it goes after that.

    Best regards,


Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.