WP Smush Pro and itheme security break htaccess file

Hi,
I experience today lots of troubles with WP Smush Pro.
I've installed it on a website running for 2 weeks without any issue.

Today, I Smashed all media (about 1500). And it breaks my htaccess file.
I repaired the htaccess file, site is running back. I start again Smush Pro and it breaks the website again.

3 times, each time after starting Compression, it breaks my htaccess file.

Do you think it could be an incompatibility between WP Smash PRO and iThemes security ?

Thank you
Dimitri

• Sajid

Hi @Dimitri

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for the issues you are facing with WP Smush Pro but it should not break .htaccess file because our plugin have nothing to do with it. Do you have any options that are enabled for media protection or scanning ?

If its okay for you, then please grant support staff access so I can take a closer look. To grant support staff access go to WPMUDEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access or see this manual.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Sajid

Hi @Dimitri

Hope you are doing good today and welcome back :slight_smile:

I am sorry for confusion, yes I know and have installed it on my test site. I tried smushing images but it did not broke my site. So that's why I asked if there are any specific settings on your site that is causing the issue.

If you could grant support staff access then I can try to compare the settings with my own site and test it here. This will help me find the culprit and rule out this issue quickly.

I am also flagging @Umesh Kumar developer of this plugin for his valuable feedback on this matter as well.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Rupok

Hi Dimitri

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but what I understood is - You are having a site with high traffic, and iTheme Security plugin is in action so that if any malicious attack happens on your server, this plugin will take care of that.

Now, there are actually different types of resources. For example, when a malicious IP hits your site with insane numbers, that is called "DDoS" attack. So security themes make that IP blacklisted in your .htaccess file. When any user is trying to login with wrong password continuously, security plugins may disable his IP from login for couple of minutes. There are lots of measures security plugins take for protecting a site.

But when WP Smush Pro runs on your site and compresses images, it uses your servers processor and memory. So if security themes in any case try to stop it, they have to block it's own IP and which is not natural.

So what you suggested can be right partially - When Smush Pro is in action, your server gets too busy that it doesn't give your security plugin enough memory to run but this is highly unlikely. I just smushed 2000 images with a 512MB Ram server and I didn't face any problem with my .htaccess file though I didn't have continuous traffic.

In such case, I'll suggest you to contact your server provider for getting the log and check if there is any error. They can tell you better why resources are becoming low during compression (Considering WP Smush Pro is responsible). And could you please try talking with the developers of that security plugin? I believe, they can also give you some valuable information as their plugin is trying to modify the .htaccess file and stopping.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.