Wp Smush pro completely broke the site / Wp install

I installed WP SMUSH PRO (along with defender and Marketpress) in a perfectly working site and run the Smush for the existing media.
This completely ruined the WP install: completely broken pages (see screenshot), no Upfront for Home Page, when loading Upfront for the other pages I see them as they were but ... unable to save!!!
Furthermore, now I cannot uninstall any plugin! (see screenshot).

Support access granted.....

PLEASE NOTE: This is my company site. I had to stop all my social running adverts! There are sites I have built all over the place that connect with this one and at the moment I am trying to sell website development while my own site looks like .....this ....

Please help ASAP
(As you can see from my WPMUDEV profile, I have two other tickets running and hopefully this one will not take a week or so, like I am still waiting on the other tickets .....)

• Nick

UPDATE:

While uninstalling plugins from the dashboard was not possible (fatal error) I uninstalled plugins from the plugins area of the wordpress dahsboard.
    I uninstalled the following plugins: Slide-In, Ultimate Branding, WP Defender and WP Smush Pro.

Now everything is back to normal! Everything works as nothing ever happened! Even installation and uninstallation from the WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin is possible now!

SO: I have back-up ed the site (naturally) and I am keep working on this.

I am not marking the ticket resolved yet since I really want you to double check things up and maybe find something I might have done wrong or does not work properly.

Pls provide feedback of what have been the issue (although you cant replicate it now).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nick,

I hope you're well today and thank you for for reporting this to us.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to tell you "100% sure" what has caused that issue since I'm not able to investigate it on your site anymore. The screenshot however suggest that some resources (most likely styles and/or JS) were not fetched partially or at all. This may have happened either due to the plugins conflict or may have been a temporary issue related to on-site or on-server caching.

Is there any cache enabled on site? Also, have you been running our Hummingbird plugin when that happened?

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Nick

Hello Adam!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nope I am not using Hummingbird yet.
    As a standard pattern, I develop / build first and then take care of cash.
    If you think I should enable it please let me know, so I can test.

Furthermore: I have noticed this strange behaviour:
    Currently the site "runs" on 6 plugins: 1.Google Analytics +, 2.MarketPress, 3.Meta Slider, 4.PopUp Pro, 5.Support System and (of course) 6.WPMU DEV Dashboard. That's 6 plugins in total.

The issue I am dealing now is that every time I try to activate a seventh plugin, no matter what this seventh plugin is, I get the same "crazy" and "broken" behaviour on my landing page (CSS collapses entirely!!!).
    For example I tried to activate Private Messaging and "crash" ... I de-activated it and ... back to normal...!!!

So, any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Nick

• Milan

Hello Nick ,

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

Nope I am not using Hummingbird yet.
    As a standard pattern, I develop / build first and then take care of cash.
    If you think I should enable it please let me know, so I can test.

We don't need to enable caching at this time. So keep it disabled till we fix your issue. :slight_smile:

Furthermore: I have noticed this strange behaviour:
    Currently the site "runs" on 6 plugins: 1.Google Analytics +, 2.MarketPress, 3.Meta Slider, 4.PopUp Pro, 5.Support System and (of course) 6.WPMU DEV Dashboard. That's 6 plugins in total.

The issue I am dealing now is that every time I try to activate a seventh plugin, no matter what this seventh plugin is, I get the same "crazy" and "broken" behaviour on my landing page (CSS collapses entirely!!!).
    For example I tried to activate Private Messaging and "crash" ... I de-activated it and ... back to normal...!!!

I was able to replicate this issue on your site but its is not happening for all the other plugin. For example, if we activate Defender, it throws this error.

Error in screenshot shows clearly that, somewhere conflict causing 500 internal server error for required stylesheet Upfront needs and without it being loaded, site's layout seems messed up. Strange thing here is that if I copy and paste that url in other browser tab windows, it loads all the style without any issue. I've already asked for further help here to our Upfront developers. As soon as they update me on this, I will update you here.

Now on your site, If I activate Akismith or WP Smush Pro, nothing issue prone happens and we can easily view site without any layout issues. But if I activate Defender, site throws that error.

So would you please tell me which plugin you want to activate along with your 6 already activated plugins ? It will help me to test in that context better way.

One culprit we have identified till now is Defender itself. Let's me know which are others.

Furthermore, it would be great at this point if we enable debug mode to your site. To do that, please open your site's wp-config.php file and replace this line,

define ( "WP_DEBUG", false ) ;

with these ones,

define ( "WP_DEBUG", true );
    define ( "WP_DEBUG_LOG", true );
    define ( "WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY", false );

Try to list out plugins which are causing troubles and attach file named debug.log from your /wp-content/ folder here. Please note that you would need to change its extension from .log to .txt

Looking forward to hearing back. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Nick

Hello Milan and thank you for your thorough and to-the-point reply :slight_smile:

I would like to activate:

1.Private Messaging (that I think also caused trouble - not sure though cause I activated it along with others).
    2. Ultimate Branding (also in the suspected list)
    3. Slide-In (also in the suspected list)
    4. SmartCrawl – Easier & Faster WordPress SEO
    5. Login Redirect
    6. Logout Redirect
    7. Ultimate Facebook

For the Ultimate Facebook Plugin - I would be eternally GRATEFUL if you could give it a try, since this plugin has caused me tons of trouble in other sites (a sneak peek in my other tickets shows that) and it is one of the most essential plugins for business reasons (I am sure you know).

Debug mode enabled as per your instructions (updated wp-config.php)

Thanks,

Nick

• Dimitris

Hey there Nick,

hope you're good today and don't mind chiming in!

Thanks for pointing out what you're about to use. Now that Milan narrowed down the WP Defender plugin and you enabled WP_DEBUG, lets try to test the remaining ones.

Simply try to activate them one-by-one and check each time your frontpage and other pages as well of your website in order to confirm that everything is working.
    If you're dealing with issues, then all should have been logged in /wp-content/debug.log file. Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here in your next reply.

We could then know which plugins (apart from Defender) are having conflicts with UpFront or other aspects of your site and act accordingly. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Nick

Hey both,

Thanks for the quidelines.

Things are as follows:

1.Private Messaging >>> resulted to the same problem
    2. Ultimate Branding >>> no problem
    3. Slide-In >>> resulted to the same problem
    4. SmartCrawl >>> resulted to the same problem
    5. Login Redirect >>> no problem
    6. Logout Redirect >>> no problem
    7. Ultimate Facebook >>> resulted to the same problem. This one I couldn't de-activate from the WPMU Dashboard and I had to de-activate it by the "classic" WP dashboard > plugins.

debug.txt file attached as instructed.

Looking fwd for your reply,

Nick

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nick,

Thank you for helping us with that and sharing the debug.log.

There's a number of noticed and warnings indicated but those shouldn't affect the site performance. There's however a "fatal errors" that comes up a few times and it seems that the solution - hopefully - may be simpler than we expected :slight_smile:

The error (that breaks the site) is related to insufficient amount of memory allowed to be used by WordPress. I checked your site and it currently operates on 40M only while the maximum memory limit for PHP is 256M. The 40M limit is extremely low and it may be the reason for the issue.

Let's then try to fix that and see where it gets us :slight_smile:

Please add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

This line should be added right above the "/* That's all, stop editing line */". Once its there please clear your browser's cache, login again to your site and check the plugins activation again.

Let me know about the result, please!

Best regards,
    Adam