WP Smush Pro does not optimize well the photos

Hi, i have a problem with WP Smush... i use it but for google and your Performance Report by Hummingbird the photos are not optimized well.

Thanks

Giorgio

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Giorgio,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site with PageSpeed Insights and I can see some images reported there. Please note however that there's a bit more to this:

1. WP Smush Pro offers a lossless compression by default but you can also enable "super-smushing" which is a bit more aggressive and should improve the score; there is however a risk that images may loose quality slightly

2. Filesize (compression) is one aspect only and the other one is image dimensions. It is quite common that there are (this is related to WP itself and the theme that is used) images used of some specific dimensions while on site these images are "resized" with CSS; for example there's an image available in 640x480px size and in post it is resized with CSS to 500x300px; that would also affect score.

There may also be some other issues involved so would you mind granting me a support access to the site so I could take a look at it? You may do this by following this guide (let me know here when it's already enabled please):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Giorgio,

Looks like the issue here is indeed with the image dimensions as Adam mentioned above, when I check your site I can see that in footer your instagram photos are inside 212x211 holder while the actual image called is 640x640 pixels.
    Google doesn't like when image is larger than the holder and that's why the reports are there.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can do because your theme/plugin that is loading those images has defined larger image size than the holder.

You should get in touch with the theme/plugin developer so they can check the code and have 212x211 thumbnails loaded in there instead of larger ones.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.