WP Smush Pro has removed images from site

I have been trying to improve the image score on this website, and now have many images (although not all) showing as grey squares in the media library grid (or grey bar in the list as in screenshot attached).
This site has Woocommerce, and what is really weird, is that the shop category listings show images, but the main product page image and product gallery thumbnails are gone (only showing ALT tags). Do you know what may have caused this to happen?
Many blog posts and images inserted into pages are also missing.
I have disabled WP Smush It Pro and am currently restoring my whole uploads file from a backup.

as another kicker - after getting greatly improved results on the Hummingbird dashboard, this slow site is slower than ever...

Please let me know why this may have happened - thought I had finally found a great solution but regretting it at the moment...

• James Morris

Hello Leah,

I hope you are well today.

I actually had this very issue on my personal blog just a few months ago and it had nothing to do with Smush, but rather an issue with WordPress itself. For some reason, the thumbnail references on my site had become corrupted. In the course of providing support here, I've found this is a fairly common problem.

The simplest solution is to install the plugin Regenerate Thumbnails and run it. It will restore your thumbnails in the media library and on your site. You may need to run Bulk Smush again after running that plugin.

Now, part of the reason your site is slower is likely due to your browser not being able to find the missing images. Whenever an image is referenced, your web browser will continue to attempt to load the image as the page renders, thus slowing down rendering. If there are numerous broken image references, this can significantly slow page load times. Once you regenerate your thumbnails, you should see faster page load times.

Please give Regenerate Thumbnails a try and see if that resolves your issue.

NOTE: Please be sure to make a full backup before running that plugin... Just in case. :wink:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Leah

Thanks for your reply...
    This didn't do the trick unfortunately - so we are hopefully dialling back to a full old back up and starting again...
    I did try restoring a back up of the uploads folder when the regenerate thumbs didn't work, but of course, now the images that used to be png files in the media library are now listed as jpg URLs and the images in the uploads folder are png again... broken links everywhere :slight_frown:

• James Morris

Hello Leah,

I'm sorry to hear this solution didn't work in this situation. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site and server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.