[WP Smush Pro] image optimization

We are trying to optimized our images but it is quite slow. we paid for smush pro because of speed but we are not getting that.
WHat can be done ??

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello femfem

I hope you're well today!

There's over 36 thousands of images in Media Library so that's quite a lot and bulk-smushing them all can take some time. However, I'm not sure if you're actually asking about that or the overall site speed because I noticed that while Smush does say that over 34k images are still reported as not optimized but the site in general is loading quite slow.

I checked the site and I see that this happens even despite it being powered by PHP 7.x and with just 16 plugins active. But I also noticed three things that should be addressed first, before even trying to diagnose both Smush and site performance further:

1. While the site is not very complex, there are some "heavy" plugins and there's a lot if images in Media Library, yet WordPress is still limited to only 40M of PHP memory. I'd recommend raising that to 256M which would be a reasonable amount. To do this, add following line to the "wp-config.php" file just above the /* That's all, stop editing */" line:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

That alone might actually affect performance significantly.

2. There is a "Cache Enabler" plugin active and at the same time "WP Rocket" caching plugin. These two plugins are performing similar tasks and it would be better to stick to just one of them. There should never be two "page cache" tools active at the same time as that might cause unexpected issues and in fact slow down the site instead of speeding it up.

In this case, I think it would be better to keep the WP Rocket enabled and disable Cache Enabler (note: after disabling Cache Enabler make sure to clear WP Rocket cache too). In the long run I would rather recommend switching to our Hummingbird entirely as it would let you also address other optimization aspects better (but again: instead of WP Rocket, not along it).

3. Apart from Smush Pro there's also another image optimization plugin active which is also something that shouldn't be happening. Using multiple image optimization plugins at once will not cause images to be "more optimized" but instead may not only lead to some conflicts but also slow down the optimization process or break it down completely. In that case, the Smush Pro should be the only one running and also make sure to clear WP Rocket cache after disabling the other one (Optimus).

This all together should speed up the entire site performance a bit but even if it doesn't, we'll then be able to "dig deeper" as "overlapping plugins' features" won't be affecting the case. Also, the Smush image optimization with that many images can take quite a while when run for the first time as each image must be uploaded to our cloud, processed there and then fetched back to the site. That, however, is a process that usually has to be done only once as after that - if you set Smush to automatically optimize images on upload - all the new images would be automatically optimized "on the fly" in background, which is nearly unnoticeable process.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi femfem,

It seems that Time to first byte (TTFB) is really low on your site, this is the time that it takes your server to respond to a request sent its way.
    And when I try to navigate around your WP admin section TTFB takes anywhere from 20 to 35 seconds which is really high.

This is something that your hosting provider should look into and see why the server response times are so low.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello femfem

No, those settings shouldn't contribute to the TTFB issue much. The max_execution time could be a bit longer (about 120-150) and the "post_max_size" value could be doubled in case of complex sites but I wouldn't expect any significant boost after adjusting them anyway.

There's much more into TTFB issue than this because, for example, there might be to little concurrent connections to the webserver (I'm not referring to a physical machine but to a software that's actually serving your site, that being an Apache or NGINX usually) or the database allowed, connections' timeouts and many more server-side settings might need tweaking. That happens especially on shared hosts when the webserver and/or database gets literally "clogged" (just like a pipe can get), thus causing serious slow downs. If the I/O (file write/read operations) limits are too low, that can also cause slow downs, resulting in more time being necessary for server to respond to the request. These are just some possible reasons and usually it's a combination of various aspects so there's no one universal response to this.

To sum that up, if what we both suggested before didn't help, that lives the "server side optimization" as the way to proceed. And that is something that your host should be able to do. If they can't (refuse or are for any reasons not able to do), it might actually be necessary to look for alternative hosting solution.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.