WP Smush Pro not compressing the photos enough

I have maximized all of the settings in WP Smush Pro, but it doesn't appear as though the images are being compressed enough. When I run Google's PageSpeed Insights my score is getting hammered by some of the images "Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 922.9KiB (88% reduction)". I'm using Beaver Builder and so I'm wondering if there is a conflict or if I have the settings incorrect. Please advise how best to fix this so my image compression is working better.

• Bojan Radonic

Hey Lance,

How are you doing today?

Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

I'm assuming that the second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme or the way you've set up that page in Beaver Builder is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example under "Meet our team" on your home page there are 1500x1500 thumbnails but the actual HTML holder of that image is 140x140 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder. Please see screenshot:

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since either the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed Google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs if this part is coming from your theme. If you're making this with Beaver Builder make sure to load smaller image sizes there instead of using full size image.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.