[WP Smush Pro] Plugin was source of 502 error

I was experiencing 502 errors on the Triton site. I contacted Wpengine and they narrowed down the issue to the Wp Smush Pro plugin and wondering if you can help explain why this occurred. I have some screenshots to provide, but I do not see place to attach screenshots here.
They said: "So 780 calls to WpSmush::resize_from_meta_data on every page load.
Which looking at the library, it appears maybe it was trying to smush every image every time you loaded a page possibly "

• Nastia

Hello DYLAN

Hope you're doing well!

I'm sorry to hear you have this issue. Just to clarify your site showed 502 error on the front end, during images optimization; does the Bulk Snush option was running at that time?

Please increase your PHP memory by adding the following into the wp-config.php file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
    define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');

Also please enable Wordpress debug mode, so we could see what has caused this eror. Add these lines in the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Make sure all of these lines added above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */. When the 502 error will show up again, please share with us the debug.log file from the wp-content folder. Compress the file and attach it here.

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia