[WP Smush Pro] Problems with image smushing and CDN

Hi.
Hummingbird is showing a slow performance on the images. I have activated the CDN and I have Smushed images. After everytime i Smush (and cleared cache) I recheck the performance in Hummingbird and get the same 23 images needing Compressing and some need resizing.
Google Speed Insights are confirming the same. Shouldn't this be handled using the CDN?
Or am I missing something?
I have granted access.

Regards,
Ralph

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Ralph,

hope you're doing well today and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

First, let me explain that Bulk Smush and CDN are two separate things. Bulk Smush is all about your local images. If you've enabled CDN though, then images should be coming from the CDN service, so even if local images are optimized or not, it shouldn't make any difference.
    I can still see that images aren't getting served via CDN, even though it's enabled. Is there any other server-side caching that your hosting provider uses? If so, can you try to purge that and let us know?

Thank you,
    Dimitris

• Ralph
    • Flash Drive

Hi Dimitris.

I got the following reply from the hosting provider:

"There is no caching as such enabled on our part, possibly you have installed something earlier that interferes?

Only error message we see:"

w307329-www http://www.tefo.no 82.164.54.4:63565 Wed Jan 02 14:06:34 2019 HRewUNl3y2Y RACWUNl3y2Y "https://www.tefo.no/wp-admin/admin.php?page=smush" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36" [WPMUDEV API Error] 4.6 | Sorry you do not have permissions to access Analytics for this site_id. (https://premium.wpmudev.org/api/analytics/v1/site/322/overall/normal?days_ago=7 [400])

Is this helpful for you?

Ralph :slight_smile:

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ralph

I trust you're doing well!

I've visited your site and the images on the home page are not served through Smush CDN because these are added into the CSS, as a background-image. These images I am afraid can't be captured by Smush CDN. Other images like on the /om-tefo/ page are served through the Smush CDN.

Regarding the images that WP Smush ask to re-smush images, I could not replicate the same behavior on my end. Would you please send to us your sites credentials
    You can send credentials by using our secure contact form
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Subject: “Attn: Nastia”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Looking forward to your email.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Ralph
    • Flash Drive

Hi Nastia.

I have sent the credentials.
    We have resolved a few issues by changing the css paths to a smaller image and uploading smaller versions of images uses on hte site (not css).
    Performance in Humminbird is great (87), but Google PageSpeed Insights is showing a score of 56. I will be working more with other speed issues, but google seems to still have issues with some of the images regarding resizing. Eventhoug they seem to be going through the CDN.

Why the difference in results between HB and Google, and what else have iI missed regarding images?

The older issue of continously resmushing (bulksmushing) the 23 images, seems to have ceased.

Regards,
    Ralph

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Ralph,

hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I can now see a wonderful score of 93 in Google Pagespeed! :tada:
    Performance Report is now reporting a single image and this is happening because it's part of a CSS file, so Smush CDN can't replace it.

You could surpass this by adding the same image in a dummy page, view the URL that comes from Smush CDN and then use this URL in your CSS.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.