[WP Smush Pro] Resize image before upload

I have a website that allows people to upload images from their phone but many of them do not understand how to resize the image and get impatient with uploading the extremely large images they can take with newer devices. I have seen methods for resizing prior to upload and would love to have this built in to Smush Pro. I have the max size set to 1600px but that doesn't happen until after the upload.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Titanium Creative

I hope you're well today!

You got me here, I admit :slight_smile: I can think of image being resized automatically before upload if it's uploaded via some sort of an app but I'm not sure how that could work if uploaded directly to WP.

That does sound like quite a good idea to me, though. You mentioned that you "have seen methods" for this so would you mind throwing some more light on it? I'd appreciate it as it could actually help to add some cool new feature to the plugin :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Titanium Creative
    • Finder of Elusive Bugs

I've just started researching it but there are some things you could look at that may yield clues.

Plupload. I can't figure out if this is a php library or a javascript library. It's a bit beyond my comprehension.

Imsanity. Documentation is unclear. This looks like it does sort of what Smush does but I have seen references to resizing prior to upload.

HTML5. I have seen several references to using this to display and manipulate images in the browser and then being able to upload them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in any way. I need this.

• Anton Vanyukov
      • Developer

Hi Titanium Creative,

Could you please explain the reasoning for this? The end result is the same. The only thing that you might gain is 1 filesystem write. But even that's probably not the case, as that write will happen to a tmp folder. Also you're prone to more errors and loss of images in case Smushing is not successful or there's a network glitch.

Best regards,
      Anton

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.