[WP Smush Pro] smush pro 69% larger than google

smush pro has images 60% larger than pagespeed insights requests...
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcamsyrup.com%2F&tab=desktop
(This is an adult site and may have imagery of alternative lifestyles that could be offensive to some people eg - girls, guys, couples, maybe some that are gay or bisexual - advanced apologies! No need for anyone to check it out if they are queasy about such things, this can wait!)

any ideas?

• Nastia

Hello djsteve

Hope you're doing well!

The Page Speed Insight returns performing report for original images and ask to resize and compress them. To improve the score, please go to the WP Smush settings and enable "Resize my full size images"

Add Max Width and Min Height as suggested. Please see the screenshot:

Please note, all original mages will be resized, so just in case please create a backup or enable "Make a copy of my full size images" to keep a copy of original images in case you will wish to restore optimized images.

Let us know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• djsteve

hi. thanks for looking into this. I tried that and it did not work - I think it may be because all my "original images" are like 360 x 270 px - so the smuch won't remake them, even if I make the suggested size 2480 or 1920... maybe if I made it really small it could work.. but the plugin perhaps need an update to check for size of originals and give an option to do them even if they are smaller than the current setting?

• Dimitris

Hello djsteve,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chip in here! :slight_smile:

You are right, as long as original image is smaller than the "Resize" setting in Smush, then it won't get processed-resized.
    For example the photo you've shared is small, as its original dimension is 360x270px, but it's getting loaded in a much smaller container, which is 118x140px, that's why Google moans about it (you load unnecessary large image, so page load time is getting increased for no reason).

What you should do, is manually resize these images to match the container dimensions. You can even do the resize inside WP, using the native image editor, here's how:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

Please keep in mind that we're talking about full-size images, so if these are also used in other pages apart from homepage, will get resized too. If this isn't something that suits your needs, better contact theme author, so he could make a change and use some other image thumbnail instead.

Hope that was some help!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• djsteve

"as long as original image is smaller than the "Resize" setting in Smush, then it won't get processed-resized." - I just wonder if it's been smushed as well as it should, not just the resize, as google provides as better compressed version for download. Maybe this is an issue with the google tool and others as well - being the size is a bigger factor for image weight often - that makes sense - the image that google provides to download is 135px wide...

problem with making them all that container size is that the theme squishes the images as the view port gets smaller for a while.. bit then the images get bigger at certain breakpoints, and are actually scaled to about 233px wide on a landscape mobile view. So making them all 135 might be the thing to make the checker happier - just not sure what the theme will do with an original at that size with the 235 container.

Perhaps something like the foundation framework uses to replace an image during load time depending on viewport?

I was looking through the repo for plugins that resized just the featured image, many have not been updated in years. ( "Featured Image Resize" is 5 years old)

I will experiment with making the images much smaller and hope they scale up without looking too terrible for now. Unfortunately it's more important to impress the G spiders and hope to get traffic than it is to impress with awesome hi rez images for the humans that find a place.

maybe we all need some kind of tap to replace image with hi rez version thing in combo with the foundation frameworks image replace jscript or something.
    I still suggest adding more info into smush so it tells people X number of thumbs and originals ignored because of sizing or something.

thanks for chiming in here.

• Dimitris

Hey djsteve

I just wonder if it's been smushed as well as it should, not just the resize

As long as you also use the "Smush my original full-size images" option, then full-size images are getting smushed, even if they don't get resized.

Perhaps something like the foundation framework uses to replace an image during load time depending on viewport?

I understand the challenge of a responsive design and loading the exact image sizes each time, so Google won't moan. This would need some theme development though, that's why I proposed to contact theme author about it. Specifically for Zurb Foundation, you can use "Interchange" :wink:
    Reference: https://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/interchange.html

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.