WP Smush Pro + Website Grade

Even after bulk smushing the images on our site with WP Smush Pro, we are getting a site report back that says images are still the biggest problem in our site load speed — we have an "F" score in our images even after running the plugin on all of our photos (see here: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/outdoorwomensalliance.com/5WODRRTa ).

We had a good grade in photos last year after running WP Smush Pro's tool during a free trial, so I thought I'd purchase it for regular use. I've been optimizing most of the photos I've uploaded since then via Photoshop so that they are averaging ~200kb, and we've probably uploaded less 200 images since then (knowing that WP creates different sizes of them from there, such as thumbnails and such). The majority of the images that were uploaded were around 200kb or less.

Why didn't our image size score improve after running WP Smush Pro? We don't want to be destructive to the photos that photographers send to us, since we are trying to show photo essays and such, so going much lower than 100kb on these photos could really mess it up, hence the reason I haven't 2x the smushing — but I didn't last year with the free trail, either, and still had dramatic results in image loading time. This time, no.

I granted access to support this morning, so hopefully you still have it.

• Sohag Ronjon Dey

Hi Gina,

Hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

The message suggests the images are scaled down in your content compared to the actual file dimensions. Please check the screenshot.

You can crop or scale those images using the WordPress image editor to match the embedded size in your content. If this images are used somewhere else, like a single post, with a higher resolution, we can’t just resize the initial image, as this will shrink it in single post. In this case, the template part of homepage should be changed to fetch a smaller thumbnail instead. We have also tried to access your site but the support access is not working. Please check.

Please let us know if you need any help.

Cheers,
    Sohag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.