[WP Smush Pro] WP smush pro

Hi I have installed WP smush pro, what I want to know is if I perform a bulk compression. will all images in the the upload folder be compressed and essentially be updated on the site. I noticed that with WP smush it just compressed the four alternate size images but feature images were still the same size on the site. I am hoping with Smush pro everything that is published on the site will be compressed and updates. Also can I please get some instructions on how to smush images that are not in the upload folder.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello peter

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

When you upload an image to your WordPress site, WordPress is automatically creating additional images (of different sizes) out of it. By default Smush only optimizes these images. On "Media -> WP Smush" page you can see the list of those "sizes" and decide which ones should be processed by Smush.

Apart from those additional images, the original image is also kept on server in Media Library but it's not included in optimization by default. You can, however, enable that option ("smush my original full-size images") in Smush settings.

That being said, I don't know how the theme that you're using is built but a look "from outside" suggests (by checking file names of the featured images) that it's fetching those original, full-size images to be used as Featured Images.

In that case, enabling "smush my original full-size images" should help and Featured Images should be then optimized.

As for smushing files outside of the upload folder. Please go to the "Media -> WP Smush" page and there's a "Directory Smush" section at the bottom. Once you click on "Choose Directory" button you'll be able to select folders and once you add them, plugin will scan them for the files and show you a list of files.

You can then remove some files from that list if you don't want them to be smushed. Once you click "Bulk Smush" image at the bottom of the page, plugin will process the images.

I hope that helps! If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello peter

It is possible that images are already "optimal" but I'd suggest checking permissions on server, to see if those folders a writeable (smush must be able to write to the file to replace such file).

You should be able to check that via cPanel ("File Manager" tool) or FTP (e.g. via FileZilla or similar FTP program). This article shows how to change permissions:

https://www.pickaweb.co.uk/kb/change-file-folder-permissions-using-filezilla/

"Drill down" from the "/wp-content" folder "down to the file location" and see what numeric value it shows as permissions of each of them. Let me know here.

Also, please check what is the file size of some randomly taken image from the images that are reported as not being smushed.

Looking forward to your reply,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.