[WP Smush Pro] Wp Smush Pro extensively slow

Hello

We planned to use the WPMUDEV Subscription for Websites of our clients. As an agency we are aware of performance is very important.

We are very disappointed about how slow WP Smush Pro is working. This comes that a customer refuses working with his new website we build.
After hours of researching solutions, disabling plugins and endless test runs uploading images we found the following facts.
We show the most important ones here:
*** Test Cases 51 Images, 100MB
---------------------------------------------
** Upload with Wordpress (Wp Smush Pro is offline)
Time used for upload: 11min 1sec’ / 7.75 MB/sec

** Wp Smush Pro Batch & Yoast SEO enabled
Time needed to Smush images: 55’
==> Total time needed for 51 images (100MB)
Upload & WP Smush Pro = 1 Hour 6min 1sec'

---------------------------------------------
** PlugIn EWWW Image Optimizer &. Upload Wordpress
Time needed for 51 images (100MB): 12min
=====================================

What did you say about this?
Have you same performance measurements?
How can we cancel the subscription since this becomes useless for us?

Thank you for a feedback and kind regards
Philipp

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Philipp

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

This is a unusual behaviour of the Plugin, wouldn't you mind please to enable debug?

To enable the debug mode, please login using a FTP account on the WordPress root folder, find the wp-config.php, select it and click to edit.

Above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ you can use this code:

// Turn debugging on
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Tell WordPress to log everything to /wp-content/debug.log
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Turn off the display of error messages on your site
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

// For good measure, you can also add the follow code, which will hide errors from being displayed on-screen
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

You can read a full article about how to enable debug mode here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/debugging-wordpress-how-to-use-wp_debug/

Please, upload some archives and be sure that SmushPro is enabled.

After upload please, search for a debug.log.
    Using FTP, access WP Root Folder > wp-content > debug.log

Change the .log to .txt and upload on reply.

Let me know the results and we can have a closer look.
    Have a Great Day,
    Patrick Freitas

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Philipp

Thank you for debug log, I can see there are many issues but no report for Smush, I can be caused by a plugin conflict.

So, would you mind please run a conflict test?

Remember, is important that you run this test in a staging site, if you can’t do it you must create a full backup.

Please deactivate all plug-ins just keep SmushPro, and check if the problem is gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is creating the issue.

If you still having this issue, could you do a theme test, much the same as the plugin test, but now you’re testing themes!
    Activate one of the default WordPress themes, like Twenty Sixteen or Twenty Seventeen.

Here you will find more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

Let me know the results that you get,
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• Philipp
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Patrick

Normally i do not such a work but for you i had duplicated the live environment to a staging server and made the most of the tests.

Let me say first and i apologise my statement concerning Wp. Smush Pro.
    I noticed that the PlugIn Wp Smush Pro works well and fast.

In conjunction with the most of our PlugIns used in this project all seems ok.
    The last two Plugins i could not test since they will use the CDN we configured live and i will not destroy any data here. This is for our safety.

The two PlugIns that causes the slow performance of wp Smush Pro are
    -> CDN Enabler and AUTOOPTIMIZE

On the Website of Autoptimize i could see that a update is announced soon.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/autoptimize-2-4-coming-soon-need-your-help-to-test/

As you can see on the test protocol at the bottom of this post we have good performance without those two plugins. For 51 images and 100MB load we used 15'.

Protocoll of measurement:
    --------------------------------------
    *** Test Case with 51 images, 100 MB
    *** ALL PLUGINS DISABLED but not wp Smush Pro
    Needed time 9’

*** Activated the needed Plugins
    Woocomerce, WPML, Contact Form 7, Contact Form 7 DB, IOS Fixer, Limit Login Attempts Reloaded, Mailchimp for Wordpress, Redux Framework, Slider Revolution, Ultimate addons for WPBackery, WPMUDev Dahsboard, Wp Smush Pro, Envato Market
    Needed time: 10’

*** Activated more important plugIns
    AntispamBee, Custom Facebook Feed Pro Personal, Sucuri Security - Auditing, Malware Scanner and Hardening, Yoast SEO Premium, Yoast SEO: Local, Wp Retarget
    Needed time: 10'

*** More PlugIns activated
    AJAX Thumbnail Rebuild, Enable Media Replace, Warm cache
    Needed time: 13'

*** More plugIn activated for Performance & CDN
    W3 Total Cache
    Meede time: 15’

Thanks your help.

Maybe on suggestion for a future release. Why not add a speed test during upload and compare with a standard upload (wp smush without automatic smushing). This could be done in the settings panel using a Test button. If the upload time is different from within a threshold give to the admin a attention information box that a issue with other plugins or themes could exist.

All the best
    Philipp

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Philipp

How are you today?
    Nice to hear that SmushPro is working fast.

Maybe on suggestion for a future release. Why not add a speed test during upload and compare with a standard upload (wp smush without automatic smushing). This could be done in the settings panel using a Test button. If the upload time is different from within a threshold give to the admin a attention information box that a issue with other plugins or themes could exist.

For this wouldn't you mind please open Feature & Request, the members can vote and if this became popular can be considered on a future release.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.