[WP Smush Pro] WP SMUSH Pro Questions

HI there, im looking for some advice really and I can't seem to find it on the forums/website. I have over 6000 images that need smushing. I set the bulk smush and just want to be sure i have all my settings set correctly. what i dont want to do is smush images and then they look wrong/off/blurry etc. the theme i use is apostrophe. so far ive smushed around 1000 photos. how do i see which ones have been compressed? i want to see a blog post that has optimized images and check that everything looks ok. also some of the imaages it tries to compress come back with an error. no idea why.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Emma

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

To see which images are smushed or not you go to the "Media Library" page in your site's wp-admin area. It's easier if you switch the media library view from grid to list and you'll see either a "Smush now" button or a "Smush stats" one next to each image.

If you see the "stats" one, that means that image has been processed and you can also click it to see what image versions (sizes) were optimized and what savings were achieved. If there's just a blue "smush now" button, that means that image was not processed.

As for images becoming blurry. That shouldn't happen with default settings as Smush by default uses lossless optimization. If resizing options are disabled and super-smush option is not enabled, only "visually irrelevant" data is stripped form images.

However, if you also enable resizing and/or super-smusing then yes, that might affect quality and while it shouldn't made images "blurry" it's better to test it first indeed because while the saving will surely be much more significant, the final result might vary from site to site - depending on images initial sizes/quality, the way the images are used on site and your personal expectations.

As for the error, could you please tell me what error is reported exactly? You could just copy the error message or take a screenshot of it and share it with me here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Emma

OK great, thanks for the help Adam. I see what you mean on the stats and the ones that still need smushing. i guess because i have over 6000 images it will take a while right?
    With the stats it says it hasn't smushed the full size images. is this something i should do?

With the errors, I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

I also have some questions on hummingbird - can i ask them here or should i create a new ticket?

thanks
    Emma

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Emma

I see what you mean on the stats and the ones that still need smushing. i guess because i have over 6000 images it will take a while right?

Yes, it might take a while indeed. Over 6 000 images is a lot and you need to actually multiply that number by the number of additional registered image sizes. For example: if you only have 3 images sizes registered by WordPress by default ("large", "medium", "thumbnail") and smushing original images option is disabled, that makes total of 4 images out of each images, out of which 3 will be smushed. So that means that plugin will have to process not 6 000 but 6 000 x 3 = 18 000 images in total.

If you enable smushing and/or resizing original images as well, that makes it even more: 6 000 x 4 = 24 000.

And if you got more than just those three images sizes registered that would mean many more images to be processed. So yes, the initial bulk smushing (or bulk re-smushing if some changes were made to smush configuration) can take quite a lot of time.

With the stats it says it hasn't smushed the full size images. is this something i should do?

Basically, that would mean that the option to smush original images is or was not enabled. You would want to go to the "Smush Pro -> Bulk smush" page in your site's back-end and look for "Smush my original full size images" option.

If you enable it Smush should ask detect that there are images (probably all of them) that need re-smushing. If it doesn't do this, use "re-check" images button there. After that you'd need to run bulk-smush again and it will process these images. It should be faster though because it will skip those images that were already optimized.

With the errors, I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

These errors suggest that the image reference exists in the database (image is referenced in Media Library) but the image file physically doesn't exist on a server in a given location. It might have been removed manually from the server or is corrupted in some way (thus unreadable).

I also have some questions on hummingbird - can i ask them here or should i create a new ticket?

It would be best if you would start a separate ticket about it. This way we'll be able to provide you with a faster and more accurate assistance :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.