[WP Smush Pro] WP Smush Pro Settings help

Hi, I am new and I started by installing WP Smush Pro ... I'm not sure I set it up correctly or if I'm missing something...

The settings I ended up using with Smush were the smush on upload, super smush, smush my original. I thought about the resize my full size images but wasn't sure what the best size is to put in - as I use both horizontal and vertical pictures (any help there is welcome). Once I ran all of these I had 13 attachment coming up with errors which I'm not sure how to figure out what those are. When I look at the images some of them are at 1400 x 1050 while others are in the 3000-4000 range. Will someone please double check my work, tell me what I might be doing wrong, and what settings I need to fix please?

Thank you,
Chas

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Chas,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I had a look at your installation and I'm actually not seeing any of the above-mentioned image sizes being used on the front end of your site, it looks like your content width is maxed at 658 pixels and I don't see any images that should have width higher than that.

Do you actually have any places on your site where those larger images are used?
    The thing is that we should know what's the largest image size used on your site before we could suggest which resize value to set.

I do also see that you have medium_large thumbnail size registered which has a width of 680 pixels so I would suggest using this thumbnail size in your content as it's just slightly larger than the content width and it loading smaller images will improve your loading speeds as the page will be smaller.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Chas

Hi and thank you for your help.

I usually load the pictures whatever size they are - some have been full sized and some have been smaller in size. Here is an example of a larger size file on my website that I loaded... https://chascrazycreations.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=4714&action=edit I am seeing the variety of sizes in my media library. The more recent uploads I have been re-sizing before loading to help.

When I put them into a post, I usually give them the dimension of 780 x 585 or 585 x 780 depending on if they are vertical or horizontal.

Hope this helps, and thank you.
    Chas

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chas

Thank you for your response!

If you would like to enable support access to the site, I'll be happy to take another look at the configuration. To enable it, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page and click on "Grant support access" button there, then let me know here.

However, I have checked your site "from outside" and I don't think there's anything that needs serious changes, especially if it comes to Smush configuration. Site's getting really nice scores (88 for desktop and 75 for mobiles) in PageSpeed insights with none of the images like that reported :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chas

Thanks for enabling access.

I have checked the site and I still think there's nothing that really needs to be changed/improved improved if it comes to WP Smush Pro settings. I can see the "big images" but there's a "catch" :slight_smile:

For example, this image (from your previous post)

https://chascrazycreations.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=4714&action=edit

is an "original image" - that's why it's that big. But that's absolutely fine as long as when you add image to the post/page you select smaller size (which you are already doing). There's a report on these images in Swift Performance image optimization module and that's something that I would definitely quit on using. I mean: I'm not saying whether this is a good or bad plugin as I'm not familiar with it but I see that it attempts to do pretty much the same thing that Smush does and that might cause issues in future and also some "confusions".

For example:

- Swift is reporting original images but they are not used on site and were not set to be resized and that's in fact fine because they do not affect site's performance. The only thing they can affect is your storage space on server :slight_smile:

- Swift is set to also process images on upload which overlaps with Smush settings; I don't know exactly how the Swift works but since Smush is doing that and is doing a good job with it, I'd recommend sticking to Smush.

The bottom line is, I think the site's fine (it also has really nice scores) and if I was about to recommend any changes, it would only be disabling either that entire "image optimization module" of Swift (if it's possible) or at least disabling its "optimize on upload" feature so it wouldn't be conflicting with Smush.

Other than this, if you keep using smaller sizes (instead of original images) of images in your posts/pages, like you're already doing, it should be fine :slight_smile:

If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Chas

Thank you so much Adam. You explained all of this really well so that I could understand it - thank you.

So I will disable that portion of Swift Performance as I had hired someone a while back to speed up and optimize my site. I believe Smush was put on for images, and the Swift Performance was put on to do other things to optimize my site. I will de-select the image portion. Thanks for that note.

One question I have is regarding the original sizes - you mention they can take up storage space on the server. Do I need to keep the original sizes or can I remove them to conserve server space? If I can/should remove them - how would I do that?

Thanks,
    Chas

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chas

One question I have is regarding the original sizes - you mention they can take up storage space on the server. Do I need to keep the original sizes or can I remove them to conserve server space? If I can/should remove them - how would I do that?

Removing them entirely is not a good idea, to be honest :slight_smile: They're still part of your site in that sense that they are in database. If you don't use them on site, the site will rather work fine, though the Media Library might sometimes "look strange". But every time you upload a new image, the original image is still added and stored.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that there might be a case when you may, for example, need to actually re-create all the smaller images that were created by WP upon upload. If you remove original images, that will not be possible. It's definitely safer and better to keep the original images, in my opinion :slight_smile:

If you're worrying about the server space you can go a bit different route:

1) review all the images and if there are some that are for sure unused (and you're certain that you're not going to use them in future - just delete them (you can do it directly from Media Library which is the best way as it will also remove information from the database)

2) Find out what's the real biggest size of the image that you are ever using on site and set Smush to actually resize original images to that size. It doesn't have to be "strict" size. For example:

- the biggest currently registered image size on your site is "large" that is 1020 x 570 pixels
    - assuming that you're never adding "original" images to posts/pages you can set Smush to resize original images to e.g. 1500 x 1500 pixels (they'll be resize proportionally so the longer site never goes over the set dimension); I'm suggesting a bit bigger size than the biggest used on site "just in case" quality-wise - e.g. if it turns out that you need to re-create the smaller images in future.

That's, however, an optional step and you can actually perform it at any time. If you enable the resize option for full-size images, it will do it upon upload and it will also ask you to "bulk smush" images again to do this to older images.

PS. Just in case anything went wrong, you might want to make a backup of your media library by simply downloading "yearly folders" from /wp-content/uploads folder of your site via FTP or cPanel File Manager tool. This way you'll be able to very easily restore all images if necessary - and if it turns out it's not necessary, you can just delete that backup :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Chas

Hi Adam,

Again thank you this is all so very helpful!

Okay I went to look for my "yearly files" as you suggested so that I might know where they are located. When I got in there of course there are 2 folders (2017 & 2018) that contain the photos. There is one backup up folder that is empty. And then there are a ton of files that say "test images and they are all listed as March 5 & 6 and each one takes up about 947.42 KB. I'm not sure what all of these are?

Also, I noticed that inside the yearly files there are a variety of each size of one picture - I don't need all of those but I think you're saying that's normal?

I haven't figured out how to download the folders - just want to understand how to do it.

Thank you,
    Chas

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Chas,

And then there are a ton of files that say "test images and they are all listed as March 5 & 6 and each one takes up about 947.42 KB. I'm not sure what all of these are?

As you didn't enable Smush option to backup original images, and they would not look like that even if you did, I'm not sure where those are coming from.
    As they seem like just some test image leftovers, and I couldn't find any images in your library that contain "test" in their name, these are most likely safe to remove completely.

Also, I noticed that inside the yearly files there are a variety of each size of one picture - I don't need all of those but I think you're saying that's normal?

Yes, this is completely normal and is how WordPress works to reduce the load on your site by creating different image sizes so you don't need to call the large files when not needed.
    For example, if you upload an image (let's call it image.jpg) that is 2000x2000 it will add that image and the thumbnails that are registered on your site, and in your media folder you will see the original image and thumbnails like this: image.jpg, image-150x150.jpg, image-300x300.jpg and so on.
    So when you add images to your content if you don't need the full size you can add smaller thumbnails, and now when the page loads it will be less in size at it loads a smaller image.
    This does take more space on your server but it makes your site load faster for your visitors.

I haven't figured out how to download the folders - just want to understand how to do it.

Can you tell us how exactly are you accessing your files, using an FTP client like FileZilla or something similar, or your host has a control panel like cPanel?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chas

If you're accessing the files via cPanel you will want to first compress those folders. The workflow would be like this:

- let's say you are in /wp-content/uploads folder and want to download entire "2018" folder
    - click (once) on that folder to highlight it
    - in a toolbar look for "Compress" icon/option
    - click on it
    - a popup will appear showing that it's compressing files and in the end when you scroll the list down you will see the "2018.zip" file
    - click on this file and an option to download it will become active.

After you download it you'll get a full backup of the 2018 folder in a form of a regular .zip archive file.

You can also delete that "2018.zip" file from server after downloading (just be careful, please, so you didn't delete the folder instead!).

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.