[WP Smush Pro] WP Smush Pro Unusual Metadata Behaviour in Media Window

I've noticed some unusual behaviour in WP Smuch Pro at the Media screen. To start with, I thought it might just be this site, but after trying WP Smush Pro on a number of other sites on different servers and with different combinations of plugins, the only common thread I can find is WP Smush Pro.

So, to run through the issue, you are editing a post and want to add an image. Open up the Media dialogue window and either select an image or upload a new one, it doesn't matter which. Edit any of the metadata fields (title, alt, caption, or description). Whenever WP Smush Pro is enabled a couple of things occur here.

1. You can not tab between these fields anymore.
2. A few seconds after manually clicking to the next field since you can't tab, the data you just entered in the previous field disappears. Sometimes I get a few fields done before it disappears, but then sometimes one or more of them disappear at the same time.
3. The saving spinner appears at the top of the media window, once it stops the text entered sometimes reappears and sometimes doesn't. If I had done multiple fields, sometimes all reappear and sometimes only some.
4. If I manage to get all the fields filled in and click insert before they disappear, I find that sometimes they are all saved and sometimes they aren't.

I've done some searching but can't see anything on the same kind of issue. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I've tried with only the WP Smush Pro plugin enabled and it still happens, so it has to be an issue with the plugin, but I don't know if it's solely the plugin or if it is a compatibility issue somewhere else such as with server software. It is really inconvenient though and results in a lot of time wasted, even just because of the inability to tab between fields.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Matt,

Hope you're doing well and thanks for the details report.

I was testing this on my installation and I was able to replicate the first issue and I will forward this to our developers.

However, while testing other reports I couldn't really replicate the same behavior.
    Each time I switched to a different field I could see the value not showing while the save icon was spinning, but once it stopped it did show correct value again.
    It tried it for like two dozen times and each time the value did show up for me.
    Could you grab me a video of how it behaves for you?

And also, could you grant support access to your site and tell me which browser and OS you are using so we can try replicating it in same conditions?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Matt

Hi Predrag,

Sure, I'm quite happy to do a video for you and can enable support access. I suspect the disappearing text is in part because I don't know what is happening with it. It sounds to me like you are experiencing the issue, but by waiting between entering each field until it reappears, it is staying there. I'm just guessing, but that may be because it is expected behaviour for you. If I stop and wait between each field, they do appear to save, but that behaviour interrupts the standard Wordpress media workflow whereby you just keep going and things save automatically in the background without interrupting the user.

For myself, and I'm certain for my clients if I roll this out to their sites, they won't expect it to behave like that and will do the same thing I did - attempt to just progress through each field as normal, rather than taking the extra time to wait between each field.

Anyway, I'll do a video for you and sort out the support access :slight_smile:

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Matt,

Thanks for granting access, I did some tests on your site and can see the issue there just as you've described it.
    It's pretty much similar thing on my test installation, but it looks like on my test site the save after editing a field happens much faster so I can't really see the issue there because of that, by the time I start typing the values are already saved for me.

Regardless, seeing it on your site does make it clear on what's going on and I have updated my previous dev report with this information as well.

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention!

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.