WP Smush Pro @ WPengine: Running on some installs, not running on others

I am running several sites hosted on wpengine.com - all using WP Smush Pro.
On some of these sites, WP Smush works as expected.
On others, it does not work as expected. The specific problem there: After uploading images, I can see a notice by WP Smush saying something like "WP Smush | Reduced by 57.93 KB ( 45.0% )" with the image in the media gallery. However, the file size of the images stays the same, i.e. there is no reduction.

I asked WPengine support, but their first answer was not helpful. They suggested to ask you.
I did some research and found advice like disabling object caching, disabling or enabling CDN (I don't use it in general).
I tried resetting file permissions in my WP Engine account. My suspicion is/was: the image is sent to WPMU compression server, but the optimized version could not be fetched / re-uploaded again.
I tried deactivating and re-installing both WPMU Dashboard, the WP Smush Plugin, trying to install Smush via WPMU Dash, trying to install Smush via Wordpress Plugin Repository etc.
I tried to "re-login" with my WPMU Dashboard, clicking on "Manage" and then "Edit" next to my WPMU API Key.
Nothing worked by now.

Any idea or typical thing with WP Smush at wpengine.com, that could help?

PS: Is this ticket public in any forum, or is it private to WPMU support only? I don't want to post my domains/sites in public forums.

Thanks + best regards,

Andre

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Andre,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Disabling Object caching and CDN should usually work with WPEngine, not sure this is not the case with you.

This thread is public and visible to everyone but we do have a list of your sites that have WPMU DEV dashboard activated and this is visible only to our staff, so could you just grant access to the site in question so we can test this and see it in action.
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

After access is granted please reply here and we will check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Andre

Hi Predrag,

can you try to upload the image which I attached to this message, please?
    It is 60 KB before upload. After having uploaded it to the site, I can see the notice "Reduced by 57.79 KB ( 44.0% )" in my media gallery. However, the file size that I can see is still the same of 60 KB.
    When I upload the very same file to another site on wpengine with WP Smush (where Smush seems to work perfectly), it is instantly reduced from 60 KB -> 45 KB.
    I don't understand it.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andre,

You are correct, I'm able to see the issue when the attached image is used, and it looks all numbers are wrong, reducing 60KB image by 57KB is a huge difference and it's not 44%, it's more like 85% so it doesn't make sense, especially the fact that the same image is being smushed properly on your other installations.

Let me ping developer @Umesh Kumar in here so maybe he will be able to shed some light on this issue.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Andre,

I was able to get a hold of the developer, I was a bit wrong in my previous answer, it slipped my mind that the size showing as reduced is including all the thumbnails that WP creates once you upload the image, so it is actually possible to have such strange numbers, but we are working on making more clear in future :slight_smile:

As for the image not being smushed, that is definitely something unusual so he would like to have a closer look at your setup if you can provide us with your FTP login details.

You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Andre,

Thanks for sending in the details, it turns out nothing wrong is going on with your installations, this is how Smush works for now.

In more detail, WP Smush currently doesn't smush original image if the image uploaded is larger than the Largest thumbnail and it only affects thumbnails.

For example, if you go to Settings > Media you can see three image sizes there, those sizes are created each time you upload an image to WP.

If your largest size is 500x500px and you upload an image that is 600x600px it will create three more images with the selected sizes and those images will get smushed, original one will stay the same.

If your largest size is 500x500px but you upload an image that is 400x400px then the original image will be smushed.

We are currently working on adding an option to WP Smush that will allow users to force smushing of original images.

Hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Andre

Hey Predrag,

thank you so much for your answers so far.
    You are right, I can confirm your above explanation.
    However, this behaviour of WP Smush has a serious downside, at least as my following tests are showing:

Test run #1:
    • Wordpress configuration under "Settings > Media": Largest image size 800x1280px
    • A.jpg to upload has the following specifications: 700x400px, 48 KB
    • Image is being smushed directly on upload; file specifications afterwards: 700x400px, 31 KB
    • My Wordpress theme is using post images at 580x331px; therefore the system is automatically creating an image A-580x331.jpg based on the smushed original; resulting file size: 25 KB - that's definitely fine!

Test run #2:
    • Wordpress configuration under "Settings > Media": Largest image size 600x1280px
    • A.jpg to upload has the following specifications: 700x400px, 48 KB
    • Image is NOT being smushed directly on upload; file specifications afterwards stay the same: 700x400px, 48 KB
    • My Wordpress theme is using post images at 580x331px; therefore the system is automatically creating an image A-580x331.jpg based on the (unsmushed) original; resulting file size: 45 KB - that's not fine; in fact: it's like not having used WP Smush at all

Considering these test results, it is not a good idea that WP Smush does not smush ALL images uploaded. I think it should, regardless of the wordpress image size settings.

I suppose the following:
    • You said, that in cases like test scenario #2, the original uploaded image will not be smushed. But according to what you said and what I understood: Wordpress creates three versions of my uploaded image, according to the image dimensions set under "Settings / Media" for Thumb, Medium and Large. I understood, that these three versions will be smushed automatically, even if the original uploaded image won't be smushed (due to the fact, that the original upload is larger than the "largest image size" setting in Wordpress).
    • If I am using exactly these versions, for instance "Medium" as prepared above, then okay.
    • However, some themes / plugins seem to create additional resized versions of my uploaded images, see example A-580x331px in test#1 and test#2. It seems, that these versions are not smushed/optimized at all, since they are resized based on the unsmushed original.

Can you get my point, or am I overseeing anything in these thoughts?

Thanks + best regards,
    André

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey André,

We are aware of the downside that in some cases original images aren't being smushed, as I mentioned above our developers are working on including an option that will force smushing of original image as well.
    We are also expecting to see more detailed explanation on which we would be able to see stats for each thumbnail of one image.

When doing test #2 with largest image size 600x1280px could you try using image that has both width and height larger than 600x1280px. It should work after that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Andre

Hi Predrag,

that doesn't seem to make much difference:

Test run #3:
    • Wordpress configuration under "Settings > Media": Largest image size 600x1280px
    • A.jpg to upload has the following specifications: 2500x1429px, 183 KB
    • (it is still the 'same' image as in test#1 und test#2 as per image content, only larger dimensions)
    • Image is NOT being smushed directly on upload; file specifications afterwards stay the same: 2500x1429px, 183 KB
    • My Wordpress theme is using post images at 580x331px; therefore the system is automatically creating an image A-580x331.jpg (probably based on the unsmushed original); resulting file size: 43 KB

Maybe we leave it like this, so far.
    Thank you for your help until here.
    • I think I understood the problem / situation and why WP Smush does not work / seems not to work in certain scenarios.
    • I was very confused, why it worked perfectly well on some installs at wpengine.com, and on others not.
    • I do know for the moment: I have to change the settings in Wordpress under "Settings > Media > Largest" to very large dimensions, in order to force WP Smush to optimize every image right on upload.
    • In this case, though, it's important to keep an eye on CSS -> "max-width:100%" for images. Otherwise images might be presented too large when inserting them with "full size" into posts.

I'd be happy if WP Smush optimized all images in the future, regardless of Wordpress setting for "largest image dimensions".

Thanks + best regards,
    André

• Umesh Kumar

Hi @Andre,

The original image is kept intact, as it is wiser to use the required size instead of using the original image everywhere in site, and smush only skips original image if it does so.

Rest all the size created by theme or Wordpress, if they are registered using wordpress function, they are smushed.

Although, some of the members want to smush the original image, so we are in process of adding the feature with other features to next release.

So that should sort out the issue in here.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.