WP Smush stalls entire site during bulk smush

Hello,

I run a real estate listing website with approximately ~68k images. I recently tried using WP Smush Pro in order to optimize my site's images, however bulk optimization slowed the site down to a crawl. As uptime is very important to my client, it is important that site functionality is not severely impacted during the process. Are there any workarounds I can apply to get around this? The site runs on a dedicated server using PHP5-FPM with the following settings for pool management:
pm = dynamic
pm.max_children = 50
pm.process_idle_timeout = 10s
; Following pm.* options are used only when 'pm = dynamic'
pm.start_servers = 5
pm.min_spare_servers = 5
pm.max_spare_servers = 10
pm.max_requests = 200
I am running Wordpress 4.6 along with the latest version of WP Smush Pro. I have gone ahead and granted access to support over the WPMU Dev Dashboard. Let me know if you need any more information for troubleshooting.
Best regards

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Georgios,

You have 68k images and each image has around 20 sizes - that will take a lot time to process (please note that each image, and by that I mean every thumbnail of image, is send to our server to be processed). However that should not kill the site.
    Could you check server logs to see for any warnings there? Like "WARNING: [pool www] server reached pm.max_children setting" ?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Georgios,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your website, and I was able to notice the following errors in the browser console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 522 (Origin Connection Time-out)

This error seems to be server specific, could you please check this with your host, and see whether any requests are being blocked from the server side? This could also happen if the server is overloaded with response, but would like to rule out whether there is any blocking, or routing issues in the server.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.