WP Smush Thumbnails - How to utilise these

Hi,

I have enabled WP smush on both sites, but I was wondering how can you actually utilise the thumbnails? It saves them up for each area on the site - but what happens then? Can I select a thumbnail to upload that specific version? How does this work? Can you please have a look at County Homesearch and advise if there are any other amendments I can make to the Smush settings to further optimise the images.

Thanks,

Rupok

Hi Alexandria Bryan,

I have enabled WP smush on both sites, but I was wondering how can you actually utilise the thumbnails?

Do you mean the thumbnails created natively with WordPress? By default, WordPress creates four sizes of thumbnails for every image you upload. You can directly use thumbnails instead of loading a full-size image. For example, suppose you are building a theme and you want to show a list of your posts and each post should show small thumbnails of the featured images. So in that case, you can code your theme in this way that only those small thumbnails will be loaded and shown, not the full image. You will get more details here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails

It saves them up for each area on the site - but what happens then?

I'm afraid, the 4 thumbnails for each image is stored on your server. If you don't use them, they do nothing, just sit idle. It's how WordPress handles them normally.

Can I select a thumbnail to upload that specific version? How does this work?

If I understood your query right, then I'm afraid, you can't upload just a specific thumbnail size for any image. You have to upload your image, and WordPress will create all four thumbnail versions for that image. And if you define more thumbnail sizes in your theme or plugin, then more thumbnails for each image.

Can you please have a look at County Homesearch and advise if there are any other amendments I can make to the Smush settings to further optimise the images.

I would be glad to have a look at your site config but for doing that, I'll need Support Access. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. We will be glad to have a look.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok