WP Smush to compress images on computer BEFORE upload.

Using WP Smush, I would like to compress images on my computer before uploading them to my site. Is there a way to do that?

Alternatively, if that's not possible, can I compress images on my site that aren't in the media library?

• Michael Bissett

Hey Travis, Michael here! :slight_smile:

WP Smush (free or Pro) would be running on your website, so it's only going to process the images when they're present on your site (they can be processed right after uploading, though, if the "Smush images on upload" box is checked).

As for your other question, only items in the Media Library would be smushed, if you've got other images stored on the site, a plugin like this could be used to import them into the Media Library:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/add-from-server/

Just bear in mind this entry from the FAQ for that plugin:

Q: Where are the files saved?

If you import a file which is outside your standard upload directory (usually wp-content/uploads/) then it will be copied to your current upload directory setting as normal. If you however import a file which -is already within the uploads directory- (for example, wp-content/uploads/2011/02/superplugin.zip) then the file will not be copied, and will be used as-is.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.