[WP Smush] Uploaded images with very low compression rate

On my last posts made from Word Press, almost all of the uploaded images (about 90 images) had a compression rate between 2% and 5% when, in average, the compression rate hits 50% to 60%. I'm using Smush It premium plugin for compression. What could have caused this strange behavior and how could I prevent it?

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello ANDRE

    I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

    I have visited your site and checked "Casamentos pelo Brasil..." post which appears to be the most recent one, is this the one in question?

    I can see that there's a lot of PNG images there that are reported by PageSpeed Insights as requiring "compressing and resizing". I also checked the previous post and no additional image optimization was recommended there.

    Since I don't have access to the site, I can only check it from outside but it looks like those images do seem to be resized right, according to their HTML containers' dimensions. I'm not sure about the compression part though. You mentioned that only for that recent post the compression is much lower than for older ones - were there any changes made to Smush settings meanwhile? Were the images added in some different way?

    Let me know please. It would also be helpful if you could enable support access to the site so I could take a look at the configuration. To do this, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there, then let me know here.

    Best regards,


    Thanks for your quick reply Adam.

    I was revising the mídia library on my Word Press site and actually all the images that weren't compressed belongs to the post Casamento Marina e Willian that hadn't being published yet. The image type of all images of this post is jpg.

    I hadn't made changes to any of the Smush settings. The odd thing is that all images associated to this post (about 90) got a 2% to 5% compression rate. The images associated to the Casamentos pelo Brasil post, that you have verified, is indeed ok.

    I have granted support access on WPMU DEV

  • Predrag Dubajic

    Hi Andre,

    Thanks for granting access, I had a look a the post you mentioned and total savings per image is around 15% for all 4 or 5 images that I checked, I also check the images with the speed reports and they are showing as properly optimized.

    It's possible that you used a different format or quality of the image so the savings are different than before, but it looks like that is it, images are properly optimized and shouldn't be showing any reports in speed tests.

    We could have another look at the post once it's live and make sure that everything is still in order, regarding the image optimization reports.

    If I'm missing something here and you believe that some specific image can be further optimized please give us the image name so we can find it on your site and further investigate it.

    Best regards,


    Googe morning Predrag, thank you for your support om my case.

    The fact is that we have uploaded dozens of additional images to the post I have mentioned on my previous message: "Casamento Marina e Willian". It looks like that these images, indeeed, are got properly compressed. Please take a look at the imagens from the 6th page of my midia galery.
    From there you will see about 90 images that were compressed at rates ranging from 1% to 5%.

    I have attached a printscreen of my midia galery listing so you can spot some of the images that
    I'm talking about. I have also attached the first image shown on the printscreen so you can analyze it in more details. This mage is 3.3 MB in size and was compressed only by a 2% rate.

    Best regards,
    André Granville

  • Predrag Dubajic

    Hi André,

    Thanks for the additional info, I had another look at your media library and I noticed that the images on page 6 are all excluding full-size images from the optimization, some of the newer images have this included, but in Smush settings, I see this option is disabled again.

    It looks like you've been toggling this option on and off and that can make a huge difference in the final results.
    Sometimes not so much when you upload already resized images, since those are already small and fewer things can be optimized, but on page 6 you're uploading large images, like the one you provided above.

    So I tested that image on my end and when the full-sized image is not included in optimization the savings are just 3.6%, but when I enabled optimization of the full-sized image as well savings jumped up to 46.8%

    Basically, keeping the "Smush my original full-size images" option enabled should give you better results, especially when using large images.

    Hope this makes sense and let us know if you have any followup questions :slight_smile:

    Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.