WP Super Cache and Varnish

Here's a general question for anyone who is using and/or testing WP Super Cache (like myself)...

If using WP Super Cache in mod_rewrite mode (builds static html pages), would using Varnish cache in front of it be redundant/unnecessary? Or, would the two compliment each other?

Thank you,
Brian

• aecnu

Greetings Brian,

Being a staunch believer in beef over BS I do not believe in using any of the caching that you have mentioned or any caching of any flavor other then that provided by the CPU and related hardware i.e. controller, hard drive, etc. though I am compelled to answer this ticket.

It is my opinion that running two cache products at the same time is akin to running two firewalls at the same time in which the usual outcome is that neither works right.

Since I am running Dual Quad Core Xeons on my dedicated servers implementing browser compression (gzip or deflate) which the power is exponentially helped by the computers viewing said pages, it will certainly crush almost any caching scheme known to mankind. I would say every caching scheme, but never say never :slight_smile:

However, I will let this ticket ride a little while for member comment and input as you have indicated.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• bhays

Hi @aecnu

Thank you for the quick reply.

While I'm still testing caching methods at the moment, and haven't settled on a specific solution, I have to say that in my case cacheing definitely helps.

I've run various tests here: Blitz.io (both cached and non-cached) and there is a huge difference in the results.

That said, If you already have a solution that works then there's no reason to make a change ("if it's not broken :slight_smile: don't fix it" ). For those of us still testing, the service above is a great Free way to see the impact of performance tuning/caching.

[disclaimer: The link above is an Invite link to the free Blitz.io service. It provides you with an extra 25 additional users to use per load test. I do not work for or represent Blitz.io]

Thank you,
    Brian

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.