WP to WPMU Migration

What do you recommend is the best way to migrate WP standalone sites to WPMU?

We have a lot of sites that we would like to start bringing into this system.

We're used to a standard workflow of copying the MySQL DB over and modifying the config file, etc. I imagine this will be a little different.

• aecnu

Greetings maxwebgear,

Thank you for the great question.

We're used to a standard workflow of copying the MySQL DB over and modifying the config file, etc. I imagine this will be a little different.

Absolutely it will be different, there will be no easy way to do this, and to accomplish this will take a bit of work starting with transferring the theme over - in which I would simply FTP the theme to my computer and then FTP it back up to the host and applicable /wp-content/theme/ folder.

Now create the sub site for the incoming installation.

Next you would want to use the WordPress export function exporting everything you can and importing it into the new sub site created above.

That is about the extent of it and as close as we will get with the exception of possible tweaks needing to be made within the sub site admin dashboard itself.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• electroasd

Very difficult project to implement...

The default setup of a WPMU is one DB which each site take a "virtual" webspace .

The plugins and templates are in common folder, but the other files (media for example), are in folders with an id. Each id is a separate site.

This is very difficult to migrate simple sites on a multisite with a single DB and virtual folders...

So you must create a WPMU site at first.
    Second you must create each site you want in the multisite.
    Third you must export WXR files from each site and then import them on the WPMU
    Fourth you must install all the plugin has each site
    Five do the configurations
    Six (oprional) Map domains to your main site.

I think, it is very advance to complete this project.

• aecnu

Greetings,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.