WP3.0MultiSite/ BuddyPress + Daily Theme Installed – What to Do Next?

WP3.0MultiSite/ BuddyPress + Daily Theme Installed – What to Do Next?
It’s embarrassing but I just don’t understand. I have read all the manuals on this site. I have also read the WordPress and BuddyPress for Dummies Books.

I have a Dashboard that includes Super Admin, Dashboard and BuddyPress. If I click on my domain name it shows a page that says ”uncategorized” on a dark grey banner across the top, there is a blank light gray banner under that, another light grey banner beneath that with buttons for “activity”, “Members”, “groups”, “Blogs”.
Then there is a very light grey banner that says Mydomain>> Home.
Back on the dashboard; Network Admin shows 1 site and 1 user (me)

The daily theme is activated for the network. But the manuals say it must be activated for just one blog and that buddypress is activated for just one blog -and that another theme must be activated for other MU sites. –Unless you also read the buddy press manual which says that the Daily there will work with both MU sites and Buddypress.
The manuals show actions to be taken under “Site Admin” but there is no such thing on my dashboard .
Clicking on “sites” under Super Admin shows “ID” of 1 -"updated never"; and an opportunity to either take a bulk action or delete.
There is nothing anywhere that looks even vaguely useful. I know that this is simple but I don’t know what series of actions to take. Must I download more themes before I do anything else? How can I associate buddypress with a blog when there are no blogs.
Can you tell me what actions I must take and in what sequence. There is a lot of material in the manuals but some manuals seemed to conflict with others – and none really gave me the kind of simple “first you do this – then you do that” kind of directions that a complete greenhorn like me needs.
The main thing that I learned from all that reading is that If you don’t take actions in the right sequence and in the right places you can seriously mess things up.

• Aaron

Well it sounds like your good to go. Your question seems kind of vague. The answer really depends on what you want to do?

he manuals show actions to be taken under “Site Admin” but there is no such thing on my dashboard .

Now called Super Admin in 3.0

How can I associate buddypress with a blog when there are no blogs.

BP is already on the main blog. When you are logged into the admin area that is your main blog. Usually to start you will create some pages and or posts, maybe go to the theme options page and customize your theme a bit, etc. If you want to add another blog you can do that as an admin under the Superadmin -> sites menu, or others can register when you are ready by you enabling registrations under Super Admin -> Options.

You probably would want to install our 133 theme pack so those who register can choose a different theme as well.

• Dale Hazlett

Thank you for the quick response. Sorry about asking my question twice -I got an error message the first time I hit "submit" and I didn't realize that the message had gone through.

Maybe what I need to do is go into the "Themes" area of the dashboard and make some choices. When I look at the default page right now I don't see that there is any theme at all applied to it -certainly not anything that even vaguely resembles the Daily theme (my only active theme). I'll try down loading the 133 theme pack and installing it first.

Do I need to change the setting for the Daily theme then so that it is no longer active network wide?

All I am trying to do at present is set the site up so that it looks like the daily theme -at the moment it looks like nothing at all.

• Aaron

Do I need to change the setting for the Daily theme then so that it is no longer active network wide?

Yes. You dont' want other people's blogs looking like your main one!

All I am trying to do at present is set the site up so that it looks like the daily theme -at the moment it looks like nothing at all.

it's gonna look pretty boring until you get some content in there and add custom text/logos/images/colors via the theme options.

• Dale Hazlett

I know that I must be missing something very simple. As I rummage through the available options for the Daily theme, I see lots of widget options to drag to "side bars". It says they go into widgitized areas. How do I know where they will show up on a page. If I am designing a site in xhtml I put things where I want them. If I drag a widget into a sidebar (1) I have no idea what the widget looks like, exactly what it does or where it will show up on a page -surely there is a way for me to know and control these things.

I see on the theme options that I can have a large custom header. Exactly what are the dimensions of "large"?, what are the propotions of "large"? where will the header show up? I have lots of questions like that. I looked at the Daily theme manual but I still have no idea how to contol the design.
    The Daily theme manual says that the theme displays a "default" theme page. If it does I don't see it.

What am I missing? I am a graphic designer -there must be a way for me to know what I am doing rather than just randomly slapping stuff into sidebars and headers and such.

• Tammie

@Dale Hazlett: Ok lets try and help one by one:

1. Widgets: These will already have a style in the theme just load them up and go :slight_smile:
    2. Custom header: It should say the size by the header however if you do not have an advert showing it may be smaller due to padding.
    3. I'd suggest you look at the video tutorial for Daily that should get you on track.
    4. Images take the settings you have under your blog image settings for thumbnail, medium and large.

http://vimeo.com/10520490

• Dale Hazlett

Thanks for pointing out the video to me. It contains most of what I wanted to know and I had only read the manuals. I feel much more comfortable that I can come close to graphic presentation that I want.

For the themes used on future sites that are generated by users, can I use a theme that is only compatible with Multisite (not Buddy Press) since BuddyPress is active only for my main blog?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.