WPMS, Domain Mapping & SSL Limits

We're setting up a WPMS install that will use the domain mapping plugin to point a custom TLD to each site. Enabling SSL for each domain will be a requirement.

We're on Cloudways which can only support 1 cert per app (the WPMS install in this case) and Let's Encrypt certs max out at 100 domains per cert. Since we'd need SSL for www and non-www version of each domain this would max us out at 50 sites with mapped domains, which we'd blow through quite quickly. ServerPilot seems to suffer from the same limitation.

Does anyone know of a workaround for pointing more than 50 SSL-enabled domains at a multisite install? For example if we could create dummy apps, add the domains/certs there, and somehow proxy the traffic through them to the main WPMS install?

I'm fully aware we can tackle with Cloudflare but would prefer to avoid having to tell every customer to set up a CF account, point their DNS to it, etc. I want the streamlined nature of "Point your A record at our IP and you're good to go."

Ideally I'd love to have a solution that stays within Cloudways, but I'm also open to third-party addon solutions or other webhosts entirely if, on the customer end, they'd only be required to point an A record at a specific IP.

Thanks for any insight!

• Ash

Hello denny

I am not familiar with cloudapps, so can't suggest on that sorry. But if your hosting allows, you can use as many domains with SSL you want.

But I think, if you get a multi domains wildcard SSL, that should cover all domains you add in the hosting. So instead of buying several certificates for each domain, if you can publish all domains under one certificate, then go with a multi domains certificate :slight_smile:

If you want, I can move your thread to members forum, then other members may help you too who already have experience on cloudapp with SSL. Let me know.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.