WPMU Affiliate plugin + Membership

After finally getting Membership set up correctly, I now am struggling with integrating the Affiliate plugin.

I have installed, setup everything, pressed activate for Membership add-on, went into my paid subscription setting in Membership and added the commission the affiliates should get.

Then I tested, and 1. I don't see the affiliates after they add their Paypal in "manage affiliates" and 2. I tested with the put in your own website feature (so that I could simply include a link to the website from my website) with the member I created, and clicked on the link (as if I was another member) to create a new account with a new member, and no commissions showed up. Nothing showed up at all in Affiliate Reports.

Is this because I'm doing this all on the same computer? Do I have to delete cookies each time to test? Shouldn't I see the new affiliate in manage affiliates as soon as they sign up? Is there any other integration I'm missing with the Membership plugin? And finally, just cause I'm wondering, since there's not % option for affiliate commissions, will the affiliate be credited if I have a monthly membership?

Thanks in advance.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

You need to manually set how much the affiliate is paid out in the Membership subscription page. Did you do that?

As for the manage affiliates page, you need to do a search in order for things to show up there.

Provided that you're on different accounts, it won't matter that you're on the same computer.

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, I set up the payout in the subscription page. I am testing, so the subscription is set to $0.01 per 30 days, and payout is set to $0.01. I'm assuming the affiliate would get rewarded for the referral every month since it's a monthly subscription. There's no option for this in the affiliate settings.

I now see the affiliate who has signed up when I search by username, so I guess that means that is working. However, when I take their direct affiliate link, put it in an email, and click on it/go through the signup process as a different user, the affiliate has no new stats (clicks or sales).

Could this be a caching issue? Does it take time to show?

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

One other thought...maybe it has to do with WP role setting I have in subscription settings. I wasn't sure what to set this to, so I just put member (working with a buddypress site). It seems to be fine for giving access to everything after signup. But should I set this to "subscriber" or something else instead for the affiliate plugin to work?

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

One other thought...I have the "link url" set to my home page, which is actually a protected page until someone becomes a member. The registration page is set to something like mydomain.com/welcome. Should I set my link url to that page instead since that's where people sign up?

Ideally, I don't want to have to hide the homepage, but it's kind of set to be what I want only members to see when they first login.

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry for another post...If I do end up allowing people to see the homepage (for visitors), and have a link to registration where the subscription form is, do I make this "link URL" my homepage or the registration page. Just trying to figure out how this is all tracked within the actual plugins.

Thanks to anyone who can help. Really need to get this site up. Has been delayed way too long.

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Not other than the usage tab on this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate/.
    It does seem strange that there isn't more documentation - especially for such a seemingly simple-to-use-plugin. I think it would help eliminate all the need for so much support here and wpmu. Support is great, but clear documentation on the plugins can go a long way for people like me who are willing to learn what needs to be learned on their own.

• raw_nuke
    • New Recruit

So how do I even activate it? I want my current users to be assigned an affiliateid, but my "Manage Affiliate" tab shows 0 members and no option to add one!

I'm not a complete dummy, maybe I can help with your problem once I can get to your problem, lol.

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You only need the Membership plugin if you're running a membership site. I think Affiliate can be used without it. Not sure, but specifically got this plugin to be able to use with Membership.

To activate, just activate the plugin itself and then go to settings to set it up. You've probably already done that. In order for affiliates to be created, they have to enter their Paypal email.

I just set up a page for affiliates using all these shortcodes described on the usage page:

[affiliatelogincheck] – place this at the top of the page that you are planning on using the rest of the shortcodes on and it will display a login message if the user isn’t logged in.
    [affiliateuserdetails] – mirrors the affiliate details form from the admin area (yellow box)
    [affiliatestatstable] – mirrors the large click statistics table
    [affiliatevisitstable] – mirrors the referrers this month table
    [affiliatetopvisitstable] – mirrors the top referrers table
    [affiliatestatschart] – mirrors the main statistics charts
    [affiliatevisitschart] – mirrors the referrers charts
    [affiliatebanners] – displays the banners you add to your affiliate settings

Once a member fills in their paypal, they're now an affiliate. Then to actually see them in "manage affiliates," you have to search their username to find them. I tested this part, and it does work (at least using it as part of my membership site). What is not working is the click/sales tracking, which is obviously most important.

• raw_nuke
    • New Recruit

No, it says it is compatible with WP 3.5.1 without the stuff.

I finally was able to get to add the affiliate - user has to manually activate. I'm hacking it up now where it is default enabled. Going to send "welcome email" with affiliate codes and "how to" on it.

• corrsmi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

For the main affiliate link, it was a caching/cookies problem. Had to delete everything or use a different browser each time wanted to test. However, the advanced settings (where a member can enter their own url) is still not working. I've tested several times in different ways through links from this custom site to my site with the subscription.

When I go through the normal affiliate link (when I have debug mode on),
    it reads, I have recorded a cookie from username. Any purchases will be assigned to that account for 365 days after the click. after the purchase. I set the tracking to 365 days.

However, when I go through a link from the custom site set in advanced settings, it reads, I have recorded a cookie from . Any purchases will be assigned to that account for 365 days after the click. after purchase.

The username is blank. The click is tracked but not the sale.
    Is there a way to either 1. Take away the option for this advanced setting so users don't try to use it, or 2. fix it so the advanced setting will work for tracking sales too?

The 2nd option is obviously best, but for now, I'll just write that the advanced setting is not currently working so members won't try to use it.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @corrsmi

We're just doing a little housekeeping to see if we have dropped the ball anywhere. We haven't replied here for over 6 months which is obviously not good enough. And I apologise for that.

Do you still have this issue? I've sent you an email in case you don't get a notification that I've replied here, and I have also re-activated your account for a week to give you chance to get assistance if it's still required.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.