WPMU best practice for install

Hi all, im a new member here so first of all i want to say hello.
I am learning how to use WP and in particular WPMU as i have a network of colleagues and would like to be able to offer them the option of having a blog on my network.
The problem that I have is this......

No matter what i seem to do and no matter what settings I try, everytime i do a signup to the site, the new user gets notification that they are members of the Main root domain site and when they create their own blog, they are told that they are members of BOTH sites.

Now i have tried to figure out how to change this so it shows ONLY their site (as it does on sites like edublog) but I cannot find out how to do it.

Basically my site DID consist of a single WP install for the Main site located at ROOT which held the publicly accessible site, then a link through to MEMBERS which was a sub directory holding a WPMU where they would register sign up for members only content and also for their own blog, I have tried to do this on a development server on my PC using ROOT domain only to install the WPMU but STILL i get the same issue, where the new user gets told they are members of BOTH their site AND the example.com site.

Ive searched and searched for over 10 days for answers and nothing has come to me so im hoping that someone here can help me and explain how I can sort this issue.

Many thanks in advance for any help

• Sajid

Hello daniel,
    Hope you are doing good today and very warm welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

If I understand you correctly, you want to remove the link main site from Admin Bar. If yes then you can do this by using the following code snippet I wrote for a member looking for same solution.

https://gist.github.com/sjaved87/11b514769cd159a23c582a4aa4a3befb

Just add the code in functions.php file of your child theme (strip <?php in this case) or download the file and upload to wp-content/mu-plugins (create if not exists) folder to use it as MU-Plugin.

Hope that helps! If you need further assistance or I misunderstood then please don't hesitate to post a reply with more information and screenshots if possible :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• daniel

Hi Sajid, Thank you for your response,
    I am very new to WP so please bare with me.
    In the first image (1.PNG) is the edublogs account toolbar showing ONLY the site i have created within their environment and the second image (2.PNG) is the toolbar in the site i have tried to create.
    As you can see in the 2.PNG it shows both the site the user has created AND the site they have registered to in order to get their free site.

It is this that i want to change, or at least learn how to set up my site so that this does not occur.

the basic layout i need for my site is this....
    ROOT (main publicly accessible site, currently a WP single install)
    SUB DOMAIN/ SUB FOLDER (a multi user install of WP where users will register and apply for free blog along with access to members only content)

I currently have the main site (single install of WP) on ROOT, then a link to the MEMBERS site which takes users to the ROOT/MEMBERS site (a WPMU install) form here they are able to register and then using Ultimate Member (currently) once logged in new menu items appear including a link to register for their own blog, however once clicking on register for a blog (wp-signup.php) its telling them they are already a member of ROOT/MEMBERS, when all i want is for them to be shown sites that THEY create, for example theirsite.ROOT and theirsite2.root but for the life of me I cannot find the configuration needed OR if i am setting up the directory wrong and infact maybe i should be installing ONLY a WPMU on the ROOT , the problem I have is that my design skills are terrible and so i use Profit builder theme and plugin which works best on a single install of WP especially in this case as its NOT something that should oe will be available to other users and if installed in the WPMU, then the plugin shows in all new members sites plugins.

I hope i have managed to explain this well enough and look forward to your reply

Thanks in advance

• Sajid

Hello daniel,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Yes, I got your point and the code I gave you in my first reply exactly does what you are looking for.

Did you tried to apply that code ? Also, please note that, it will only work if you are logged in as a member instead of super admin.

If you tried that code and its still not working then please enable support staff access so I could take a closer look.

To grant access go to WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.