WPMU Chat

Does this program work with ANY caching programs? Or does ANY caching cause this software to not work and create issues with the site?

• Paul

@randerson1228,

It does work some with W3 Total Cache. But recommended NOT to enable the JavaScript minify option in the cache plugin. For some reason that tends to corrupt the JS code.

If you are using the in-Page shortcode it is recommended you exclude the page from the cached items. Since the chat plugin makes AJAX calls to the server every second most cache plugins tend to attempt serving older data.

Best advise is give it a try and let us know if there is an issue. We are always trying to investigate the different configuration issue from real sites. Generally we can try to test things under a controlled development environment but that at best is a functional test not even close to what live sites are running as far as the theme and other plugins.

• randerson1228

You need to put this information on your website with the information about the chat program. People need to know that if they want to use this plugin that they will have issues with caching. It is a big tradeoff. I spent hours trying to figure it out and then came to the conclusion that caching was destoying the workability of the plugin. I am using the bottom right hand corner plugin. The caching program I am using is WP Supercache.
    The website is test.shenzhenapartmentrental.com.
    The issues I have are:
    1) Cannot login or out of chat.
    2) Messages cannot be posted once caching is enabled. i.e. You cannot use the chat program, only see older chats that were posted before caching was enabled
    3) Program keeps making the sound that it is supposed to make when new chats are posted. i.e. ding, ding, ding, ding.

Another issue I find is that when you open and close the chat program and then open it again, the chat window becoes distored and does not follow the dimensions that are stipulated in the setup. This occurs whether or not caching is enabled.

• Paul

@randerson1228,

I was able to reproduce your issue under my development site. so did some research on the issue and seems the recommended solution for plugin developer is to add a code to the plugin where the page output is started. This code added will tell the cache plugin (WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache) to not cache that page.

The problem is if the site is using the Bottom Corner chat it means every single page will be excluded from cache. Which defeats the purpose of using the cache plugin.

So that is the issue with the current 1.3.x version of chat. But I also tested the newer chat 2.0 we are beta testing. And because of the way it loads the chat the page cache is not effected. If you are interesting is testing the 2.0 version of chat I would appreciate it. You can fine more information on this thread.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wordpress-chat-20-alpha-privat-alpha-needed

P-

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.