WPMU Dashboard Conflict With Wordpress 4.2 Widgets

There seems to be a conflict between Wordpress 4.2 widgets and the WPMU Dashboard. When you try to move widgets around on the widgets page, they move to the top and only right to left vs allowing you to re-order them. I went through the troubleshooting process and moved the folder [wpmu updates] to a folder outside of the [plugin] folder and everything started to work again.

Additionally, I am having a challenge seeing widgets that have been configure with the Jetpack visibility to show on bp member pages. They are not showing. When I disable Jetpack, they show. not sure if this is a compounded issue. I am currently using BP Multi-network and can't seem to isolate the challenge.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Thomas,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Are you referring to the widget's order on

"Appearance" -> "Widgets" page

in your WP dashboard?

If so, it seems like a new WP version changed the way they behave. I'm not able to reorder those widget's on a list no with WPMU DEV enabled as well as without it. However, I can freely reorder the widgets in any sidebar as well as move them between different sidebars.

There's also a possibility that there's a conflict with Jetpack. Have you tried to deactivate it for a while (if it won't break your site for good of course) and have you tried to deactivate a caching plugin (if you're using any)? Please advise!

Regards,
    Adam

• Thomas Edgell

From at chat with Michael Bissettat:

Michael Bissettat 3:12 pm
    @Thomas Edgell: If I could replicate this with our Dashboard plugin inside of my Multisite, then I'd be more inclined to say that there's something up with our plugin.

However, given the way things are looking right now, it's possible that there might be something conflicting with our Dashboard plugin somehow. The question is, what?

Which is where we'll need to do further conflict testing, that should help shed light on the culprit here. :slight_smile:

Thomas Edgellat 3:15 pm
    @Michael Bissett i am also having a challenge with widgets not showing on the members pages. I am inclined to think that it is a challenge with bp-multinetork. is there any way to see if the dashboard and bp multi-network are conflicting?

Michael Bissettat 3:16 pm
    @Thomas Edgell: I would look to try disabling the BP Multi Network plugin first, and seeing if that helps. :slight_smile:

Michael Bissettat 3:22 pm
    @Thomas Edgell: I get the feeling though that this'll probably require deeper investigation, I'll let my colleague Adam know about that thread. :slight_smile:

We'll want to continue the conversation over there. :slight_smile:

Thomas Edgellat 3:25 pm
    @Michael Bissett fyi, deactivated bp multi network and still having same challenge

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Thomas,

I hope you're well today!

I'm sorry that's taking so much time but the issue is quite uncommon and your setup is very complex. After reading your conversation with @Michael Bissett here and your additional information as well as examining your site once again I think that this unusual widgets behavior is most likely caused by some kind of conflict of JavaScript libraries.

Reordering widgets with WordPress native "Customizer" seems to work just fine, however it's a kind of "clean environment" - meaning that there's no plugins altering the "look&feel" as there are in dashboard.

I've examined this site's source code also and I can see that the jQuery and most of other JS libraries are loaded from theme's/plugins folders. The main JQuery library seems to be outdated though. Having said that, could you please install this plugin and give it a try:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/use-google-libraries/

Having granted a support acces I could do this for you but as your setup is really complex there's always a chance that something may unexpectedly go wrong. As I don't have any other access to your site (FTP especially) I wouldn't be able to revert this, you however should in case of any trouble be able to simply disable the plugin by renaming its folder inside /wp-content/. That's the only reason I haven't installed this plugin for you.

That said, could you please give it a try and let me know how it worked?

Regards,
    Adam

• Thomas Edgell

TypeError: Cannot read property 'contentDocument' of null
    #2 http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-activity/js/mentions.js?ver=2.2.3.1:250:34
    #1 http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-activity/js/mentions.js?ver=2.2.3.1:250:34 loadMentionsInTinyMCE()

The badge builder is getting to the point where it will save, however, it does not show in the media library or as the feature image.

When deactivating plugins again, the error show until I get to the dashboard. Hope this helps.

• Thomas Edgell

Running Wordpress Debug:

Notice: Undefined index: stdt in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-analytics-pro/wp_analytics_pro.php on line 20

Notice: Undefined index: enddt in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-analytics-pro/wp_analytics_pro.php on line 21

Notice: Undefined index: cmp_data in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-analytics-pro/wp_analytics_pro.php on line 23

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

• Thomas Edgell

under network admin the following errors show with debug on:

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "sidebar_full" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-1". Manually set the id to "sidebar-1" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "sidebar_left" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-2". Manually set the id to "sidebar-2" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "sidebar_right" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-3". Manually set the id to "sidebar-3" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "footer_left" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-4". Manually set the id to "sidebar-4" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "footer_middle" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-5". Manually set the id to "sidebar-5" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "footer_right" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-6". Manually set the id to "sidebar-6" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3560) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php on line 591

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Thomas,

I hope you're well today!

@Jude is off at the moment but is notified of the live chat and update to this thread. I took a liberty of accessing your dashboard again to further investigate the issue.

As for those "register_sidebar was called incorrectly." notices the solution is to update your theme's functions.php file.

There's a code that register sidebars, it starts with these lines:

if ( function_exists('register_sidebar') )
        register_sidebar(array(
    	'name'=>'sidebar_full',
            'before_widget' => '<li id="%1$s" class="sidebaritem %2$s"><div class="sidebarbox">',
            'after_widget' => '</div></li>',
            'before_title' => '<h2 class="widgettitle">',
            'after_title' => '</h2>',
        ));

To fix this issue you just have to update it like this:

register_sidebar(array(
    	'name'=>'sidebar_full',
            'before_widget' => '<li id="%1$s" class="sidebaritem %2$s"><div class="sidebarbox">',
            'after_widget' => '</div></li>',
            'before_title' => '<h2 class="widgettitle">',
            'after_title' => '</h2>',
            'id' => 'sidebar-1',
        ));

As you can see, there's more arrays one after another, so the "'id'=>'sidebar-X'" should be added to each one and "X" should be increased by one each time. The "sidebar-X" part must be in lowercase with no spaces.

This is a notice only, so it shouldn't have any crucial meaning for WP functionality, however in case of such a complex setup as yours everything counts.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3560) in /home/leadedge/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1196

It's a warning so it can be of great importance here. I've examined the pluggable.php file and it seem like this particular one is caused by the "wp_redirect()" function which is most likely called by one of the plugins. However, in all error reports across the web this warning is mentioned in the same context as here. Having said that, could you please update the theme's functions.php file as described above?

I haven't done this for you for the same reason as I didn't made changes to your site before: with such a complex setup I wouldn't be able to revert changes without having an FTP access in case something goes wrong.

Give it a try then please and let me know how it worked!

Regards,
    Adam

• Thomas Edgell

when I find these arrays, can they be copied and pasted into a child theme? I am not sure of the relationship of function.php and style.css between child themes and parent theme. I thought one takes over the other. If it is the function.php, is it best to copy the entire contents and place into the child themes function.php file?

Not sure what to change... This is all that I could find:

'4'; // If not set, default to 4 columns

// Sidebar Columns
    	$i=1;
        while( $i <= $sidebars_num )
    	{
    		{
    			register_sidebar(
    			array(
    			'name'=>'sidebar'.$i,
    			'id'=>'sidebar'.$i,
    			'before_title' => '<h3>',
    			'after_title' => '</h3>',
    			));
    		}
    		$i++;
    	}

// Drop Panel Columns
    	$i=1;
        while( $i <= $get_droppanel_num )
    	{
    		if ( function_exists('register_sidebar'))
    		{
    			register_sidebar(array(
    			'name'=>'Drop Panel Column '.$i,
    			'id'=>'droppanel'.$i,
    			'description' => 'Widgets in this area will be shown in Drop Panel column '.$i.'.',
    			));
    		}
    		$i++;
    	}

// Footer Columns
    	$i=1;
        while( $i <= $get_footer_num )
    	{
    		if ( function_exists('register_sidebar'))
    		{
    			register_sidebar(
    			array(
    			'name'=>'Footer Column '.$i,
    			'id'=>'footer'.$i,
    			'description' => 'Widgets in this area will be shown in Footer column '.$i.'.',
    			));
    		}
    		$i++;
    	}
  • Thomas Edgell

I am curious as to if this is a residual challenge cause by the Custom Sidebar Pro plugin. I talked with the theme developer and he said that the code above is from a plugin and Custom Sidebar Pro is the only widget plugin that I can think of that was installed. I have reinstalled the plugin and it has resolved the ability to move the widgets around, however, if you look at the widget dashboard, you will see why I am not using it. It has many challenges and/or is conflicting with other plugins.

Your thought will be appreciated...

• Jose

Hello there @Thomas Edgell,

As per our conversation in the live chat I understand that both, this issue as well as FB registration issue, are in relation to the site http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com

In order to debug and get to the bottom of this issue, I'd need you to grant me access to the site.
    please send me the following information via contact form :

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jose”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WP admin/network access (granting support access is not enough, I need an admin user/pass)
    - Include FTP host and credentials.
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Jose

• Thomas Edgell

@jose We know that you are looking at the website and we appreciate that. Since we are familiar with how the website works, we wanted to let you know what we see that is not working properly, hoping that it will give you some insight and clues.

The reveal boxes are not working http://screencast.com/t/8674rYRsCn71 the revel box will show on any course page. We are also noticing that the credly badge builder does not complete the creation of the badge by adding it to the featured image. Feel free to create and/or edit a current badge. Just let us know what has changed.

If you want to dialog via skype chat, just email me and we can communicate better.

• Jose

Hey Thomas,

Just updating the thread to share with other members what we found after several days working via email and chat. :slight_smile:

The widgets issue when WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin is enabled was just a coincidence. The actual problem is a bug in WP core, which you can find reported here: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32382#ticket.
    Basically, if there are too many notification or elements rendered on top of the admin screen, the vertical dragging doesn't work correctly.
    So, any plugin showing admin notifications -such as WPMU DEV Dashboard- can trigger this problem.

I provided a possible fix for the issue which I hope will be included in future releases.

In the meantime, you should try to avoid as many admin notices as you can.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation for troubleshooting. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.