WPMU Dev Conflict With WP Polls

I am having an issue with the WP Polls plugin. For some users, when they are creating a new poll, they click on the add answer button and it does nothing.

I checked the log console and the error is:

Uncaught ReferenceError: wpmUi is not defined - admin.php?page=wp-polls%2Fpolls-add.php:915

I was told this is due to something with WPMU Dev. Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue. It only happens with certain users and not all users get that error.

Thanks.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Cole

I hope you're well today!

Can you tell us exactly what you were told might be causing this? "Something with WPMU DEV"doesn't really tell us much, lol.

I would also recommend going through a basic troubleshooting process as described in the illustration at the bottom of this page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know if this helps, and don't hesitate to post again if you need to.

• Cole
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I originally had posted about the issue in the Wordpress support forums for the WP Polls plugin and they said after looking up that error it had to do with a WPMU Dev plugin. I just found it strange that it only appears to happen with some users and some don't have any issues and they have the same admin privileges.

I can do some further testing on a staging environment. I was just hoping that maybe it was something that has been brought up before and would be a quick fix. I'll look into it. Thanks.

• Cole

So I put the multi-site over to a staging environment and deactivated all the plugins except WPMU Dev ones. The issue was still happening. I then deactivated each WPMU Dev plugin one by one to see if it would start working and I narrowed it down to a conflict with Custom Sidebars Pro.

Now that we have narrowed down the plugin conflict, what can we do next to try and get this resolved?

Thanks.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Cole,

Thank you for granting the support staff access.

I logged in to your site but didn't any sub site from the number of sub sites that you have created where the WP-Polls plugin is active so i temporary activated it on your sub site kykx-alphamediadigital-com.alphamedia.staging.wpengine.com and it worked fine for me as displayed in the attached screenshots.

I have also tested it on my test site using latest version of Custom Sidebars & WP Polls plugin and it worked fine without any issue.

Is it happening on your specific sub site or using specific user account?

Also have you tried temporary changing the theme to the default WordPress theme like Twenty Fifteen on the site where you are facing this issue?

Please advise.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Cole

After doing further testing here are my findings:

It is user specific and not site specific.

Another finding is that any user who was created before activating the WP Polls plugin appears to be able to use the "Add Answer" button without issues but any user created after the plugin is activated cannot.

Once I go and network deactivate the Custom Sidebars Pro plugin though the users who were having issues can use the "Add Answer" button.

Does this help narrow down what could be causing the conflict between the two plugins?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Cole

I hope you are well today.

This is really a weird issue. Does the plugin play with custom capabilities?

And, would you please send me username and password of such user (staging site of course) for whom poll is not working? Also, keep support access active in the staging site.

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Cole

Yes, I saw the issue in your site but got no clue :slight_frown:

Would you please send me the plugin WP Poll so that I can try in my test site? Just send me the plugin in reply to that email we were communicating.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Cole

I am not sure what to say!

I have installed both plugins in my test site and worked fine in my test site. Then I visited again your site, went to Appearances > Widgets, then visited the Add Poll page and it's working fine for that user too!

Would you please check that site now?

If it works, and if you have any other site with same problem, visit Appearances > Widgets and then Add new poll to check if it works?

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Cole

It does appear to be working now though :disappointed: That is so strange. I guess i'll have to test it on the main install now and see if the issue is resolved.

I'll let you know what happens on the non-staging environment.

Appreciate the support on this.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Cole

Please check now. I have did the same thing I did before. I visited Appearances > Widgets, there was a very little popup, closed that popup, went to Poll > Add Poll and it's working.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Cole

Hey Ash,

You are correct. That does seem to fix the issue. I guess I am curious as to why that action needs to be taken in order for it to work.

Either way, it does fix the issue if that dialog box in widgets has been dismissed.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help on this.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.