[WPMU DEV Dashboard] Analytics vs. Google Analytics numbers not even close

When I look at Google Analytics side-by-side with WPMU Analytics, there is a HUGE difference in the numbers. Can you please share with me why? Our clients will ask, and it would be great to have a legit answer.

Thanks!!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tom,

WPMUDEV Dashboard analytics has its own logic, and method to identify, and track activities. So they could be some slight differences in the results compared with Google Analytics, or other tracking tools.

However, it shouldn't be showing any major difference in general. Could you please point out regarding what all aspects you notice the differences? Is it specific to any pages, or with page counts, visitors etc

A screenshot regarding this would be helpful so that we could give a closer look, and point out what exactly would have been the case here.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Tom
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Its pretty much across the board, not even close. The first number will be WPMU followed by Google;

## 30-Days ##
    Visits - 10,919 | 7,204
    Uniques - not available | 5,645
    Pageviews - 44,030 | 9,095
    Visit Time - 11.95 min | 34-sec
    Bounce - 59.7% | 88%

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tom,

Thanks for providing further details. In general, the high numbers in the above-shared statistics could be based more about the logged in activity, and traffic from the bots services etc. However the counts/statistics entirely depend upon each tracking tools, and how it's monitored. The upcoming version of WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin will have further improvements on how the metrics are calculated.

I'm passing the given details to our WPMU DEV Dashboard team to check whether there is any additional information that could be provided regarding these differences noticed too.

Will keep you posted once we get further feedback regarding these mentioned stats. Have a nice day ahead.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Tom
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

When you say "logged in activity", do you mean to say the WPMU analytics tracks when someone is in the backend working on the site? If so, how do I turn that off?

Also, shouldn't I be able to turn off BOT tracking?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tom,

It should be listing out all the activity in the website, which includes the logged in users too. However, you should be able to notice all unique activities for logged in users, listed under the "Authors" tab in the Analytics Widget.

At the moment, I'm afraid there isn't any option to enable or disable any specific features in Analytic. Tracking bots, and logged in users are quite common aspects in terms of Analytics, and it depends upon each tracking tool on how they are accounted.

I have pinged our team regarding further details on how these factors are looked upon in detail and will get back to you once I get further update asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tom,

We have new documentation on how Analytics works:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/tools-features/#analytics

Please do note there's a correction on how the bots are looked upon, sharing excerpts from the doc:

Finally, there are bots, and while not all bots are bad bots, they do not reflect real human traffic, so we try not to count them. We maintain a list of hundreds of known bot agents and exclude them from your traffic stats. GA and Jetpack also will ignore identifiable bot traffic if you tell them to. Still, if a bot successfully spoofs a legitimate user from time to time, that can contribute to discrepancies in your stats.

Please check the documentation, and let us know if you have any further query. on how the statistics are monitored.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.