WPMU DEV Dashboard Disappears even though Plugin is Active

Hi,

The last two weeks I have noticed the the WPMU DEV DASHBOARD just "disappears" from my left sidebar. I check the Plugins and it is ACTIVE (link says Deactivate under it, so that means it is active).

I have only noticed this when I want to open a support request.

To make it be there again, I Deactivate it then Activate it again, but this NEVER happened before the past couple weeks.

In the next post box I am attaching a screenshot that shows the WPMU DEV DASHBOARD gone, but the plugin screen indicates it is active.

Mary

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Mary!

It looks like you may have got this sorted out already? I logged in with support access and I'm seeing the dashboard without any issues. Looks like I'm on the same user as you are too.

You can try deactivating and reactivating it if you still can't see it as the dash only shows to the admin that activates it :slight_smile:

You can also set a constant in your wp-config.php if you want more than one user to be able to see it:

define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1, 10');

1 and 10 being the User id's.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you're still having issues.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Mary

Hi Tyler,

Let's see if I'm understanding this correctly: IF an Admin level user is logged in, THEY are the only person who can see WPMU DEV on the dashboard? OR is it: The admin level user that activated the plugin is the ONLY person that can see it? So other site users with Admin privileges can NOT see it?

I am VERY interested to know. HOWEVER, regardless of which way it is working, I am REALLY surprised that someone would write a plugin that ONLY allows ONE Admin to "see" it. In the case of a very large site with multiple users with Admin privileges, this is a kind of "hoaky" way to just let one person at a time do a support request, or click to make updates (yes I know plugins and themes can be updated in other places), etc. And to what end would making it work this way be a benefit? If they have Admin privileges shouldn't they be able to do anything on the site?

Please let me know.

Mary :o)

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the reply!

The admin level user that activated the plugin is the ONLY person that can see it? So other site users with Admin privileges can NOT see it?

That is right :slight_smile:

And to what end would making it work this way be a benefit? If they have Admin privileges shouldn't they be able to do anything on the site?

The main reason we restrict it is because often our users are designing a site for someone else, a client, and they of course don't want their client to be able to access their WPMU DEV account. That's why we implemented that feature. So by default it restricts other admins from accessing the account; however, if you want some other admins to access it then you can use this constant:

You can add more than two if you like.

Hope that helps! If you have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the reply!

The admin level user that activated the plugin is the ONLY person that can see it? So other site users with Admin privileges can NOT see it?

That is right :slight_smile:

And to what end would making it work this way be a benefit? If they have Admin privileges shouldn't they be able to do anything on the site?

The main reason we restrict it is because often our users are designing a site for someone else, a client, and they of course don't want their client to be able to access their WPMU DEV account. That's why we implemented that feature. So by default it restricts other admins from accessing the account; however, if you want some other admins to access it then you can use this constant:

You can add more than two if you like.

Hope that helps! If you have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.