[WPMU DEV Dashboard] Help setting up Membership2 Pro

Hi
I have now set up M2 on DigitalScot.net, see the first Membership forms integrated here: http://digitalscot.net/join/
I need some handholding support now to configure a few more specifics, hence starting this thread.

My first challenge is the Free membership levels: Subscribers and Community members.
A) Subscribers - Ideally I'd like this available via a minimal form / social login widget. Ie. it should be as quick & easy as possible, as the main goal is only to capture them for eg newsletter subscription. Can I configure an M2 widget/page to this effect?
B) For Community Members my goal is the opposite - I then need an extra step basically to weed out spammers, a simple approval process - for example plugins that force members to upload a photo would be enough. Having been validated this way they would then upgrade from Subscriber to Community Member, and gain features like bbPress participation (I have activated these modules).
Any help on how best to achieve A&B would be great! thanks
Neil.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil McEvoy

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Unfortunately, your site doesn't seem to be working at the moment and when I try to access it all I got is a "connection timeout" browser message. Is it undergoing any changes or anything additional (e.g. editing hosts file) is necessary to access it?

As for the questions, let me address them below.

"BuddyPress uses a page that is also used as a Membership page by Membership 2.
    Please assign a different page for either Membership 2 or BuddyPress to avoid conflicts."

When you're using both BuddyPress and Membership 2 Pro there are two ways for these two plugins to work together: it's either to integrate it and the Membership 2 Pro would then actually use BuddyPress registration page and the other one is to keep it "not-integrated". In both cases, however, the "registration page" shouldn't overlap.

To solve that, please first create a new page (named e.g. "BP registration") and then go to the "Settings -> BuddyPress -> Pages" page and select that new page from the drop-down list for "Register" option.

Taking into account your other goals, I'd stick to that and wouldn't enable registration integration so to make sure about it, please

- go to "Membership 2 -> Add-ons" page
    - make sure that either "BuddyPress Integration" add-on is disabled (if you don't need to put any additional protection on BuddyPress pages)
    - or (if you do wish to put additional protection on BP pages later) that the "Use BuddyPress Registration" option in add-on settings is disabled.

My first challenge is the Free membership levels: Subscribers and Community members.
    A) Subscribers - Ideally I'd like this available via a minimal form / social login widget. Ie. it should be as quick & easy as possible, as the main goal is only to capture them for eg newsletter subscription. Can I configure an M2 widget/page to this effect?

Nor BuddyPress neither M2P include a "social login/registration" tools but you can give this plugin a try:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/oa-social-login/

It adds a social login/register option so user could use that instead of filling out the form.

You can also then simplify the M2P registration process by simply sending a user directly to the registration form rather than to the default M2P registration page (or membership choice). One of the ways for doing this is adding a shortcode to the site, like this:

[ms-membership-buy id="123" label="Sign up now!"]

where 123 value should be replaced with an ID of your "Subscribers" membership; you can find that ID by looking at the ID in shortcode on "Membership 2 -> Memberships" page in "Shortcodes" column.

If you add that e.g. on your homepage, it will add a direct link (you can further style it with CSS e.g. to make it look like a button) that points directly to the M2P registration form, skipping membership selection. So, the "user flow" would be like this:

user visits your homepage -> click on "Sign up now" button -> click on one of the buttons to connect via social networks -> click on a page to "confirm" the membership -> [optionally if that is enabled on "Membership 2 -> Settings page: confirms registration by clicking on a confirmation link in e-mail].

That'd be quite a simple registration "flow" I think :slight_smile:

B) For Community Members my goal is the opposite - I then need an extra step basically to weed out spammers, a simple approval process - for example plugins that force members to upload a photo would be enough. Having been validated this way they would then upgrade from Subscriber to Community Member, and gain features like bbPress participation (I have activated these modules).
    Any help on how best to achieve A&B would be great! thanks

This might be a bit more "tricky" and I'm not sure if I correctly understand the goal. Is it that all the members should actually first register as "Subscriber Member" and that's the only membership that should be available for registration - then only after that they are "forced to validate" somehow if they want to upgrade to "Community Member"?

Or they should have an option to register as "Community Member" right away but then if they don't provide "validation" they should be set as "Subscriber Member" and only upgraded after they do provide it?

Or should that be yet another way? Could you please explain it a bit more - an example user case scenario would be of great help here, I'm sure we can find some solution then :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Adam
    Thanks much for the help, appreciated.

I definitely want to leverage an integrated Buddypress approach, so I will switch that option on and make the required changes, will let you know how I get on but should be ok. For the quick registration 'Social Subscriber', that does sound like the kind of approach that would work, what I was thinking of, I will try that too and report back.

For the transition from Subscriber to Community Member the key distinction is between contributing content and not. In short I don't care if spammers subscribe to receive email newsletters but I do once they start posting to forums etc., so that option can have as few checks / data capture points as needed to be super streamlined for the real subscriber users I do want to sign up.

So I simply want an additional check/data capture point that weeds out spammers before they can then also post to the site: Forums, blogs etc. I don't really mind where in the registration sequence that happens, but I'm assuming an evolution, where a user wants to become a Community Member after being a Subscriber for a while and reading what others are posting.. then they want to engage too, .. etc.

Cheers Neil.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Neil,

So you want to have a registration form for a specific membership, is that correct?

You can do that with a shortcode like this:
    [ms-membership-register-user membership_id="XX"]
    Where XX is membership ID so you need to replace it with ID of your desired membership.

You can also check Membership 2 > Help > Shortcodes panel for available shortcodes and attributes that you can use if you want to customize it further.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Neil McEvoy

Hi
    So my next main challenge is a multi-site set up.
    Cloudbestpractices.net is the root site and sub-sites include DigitalGovernment.io, linked in using Domain Mapping.
    I have started to set up Membership2 on cbpn, and ideally want a single membership system across the network of sites, but when I go to the m2 option in the digitalgov site, it prompts me to start setting up a new set of memberships.

Is there an option I can set to use a single set of memberships across all the sites?
    How is this then implemented, eg in terms of registration pages on the sub-site etc.?

On that note, a second question is how can I improve the style of the Memberships List page, eg here it is for CBPN, doesn't look very appealing...

http://cloudbestpractices.net/memberships/

Cheers, thanks! Neil.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil McEvoy

I have started to set up Membership2 on cbpn, and ideally want a single membership system across the network of sites, but when I go to the m2 option in the digitalgov site, it prompts me to start setting up a new set of memberships.(...)

By default Membership 2 Pro works "separately" on for each site of the multisite. You can set it to be "network wide" though. To do this:

- network disable plugin
    - add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site, above the "/* That's all, stop editing */ line

define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

- network enable plugin back

Please note: you will have to setup memberships again from scratch (membership settings done in default mode won't be carried over). You will, however, be able to set protection rules across entire Multisite from a single location, using the same memberships. Apart from this, it's no different than regular setup/usage.

On that note, a second question is how can I improve the style of the Memberships List page, eg here it is for CBPN, doesn't look very appealing...

It looks like it's already customized (unless the current look comes from your site's theme?) but it can also be further customized using CSS. I would need some example of how would you like it to look like, though.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Neil McEvoy

So how does that work, in terms of registration pages etc. do they register locally on that site or does it just link them back to the root site / memb page?

Yes, since it's a "site wide" they'll be taken to the signup/registration page on a main site where they select membership and complete signup. After that they'll get access to all the content across entire network that is protected with the membership they signed up for.

Also, in terms of the styling, I guess what I meant was I was hoping there might be some kind of nice looking pricing table by default. there's a gazillion plugins for that, so it wouldn't seem too difficult to link them up.

Actually, you can go that way. You can use any "pricing table" you wish to create your pricing tables (though please remember it won't fetch any data from Membershp 2 Pro. Therefore you will need to either add all "membership information" manually or - if the plugin that you choose allows using shortcodes - use Membership 2 Pro shortcodes to put information such as e.g. membership name, description and price into tables.

Then you can link buttons from such table directly to specific membership using a link like this:

domain.com/register/?membership_id=123

where "register" is your standard Membership 2 Pro registration page and "123" is an ID of a specific membership.

This way, you could put your custom pricing table anywhere on site and then after user click on "signup" button he/she is taken directly to a registration form (skipping M2P membership choice step) and is registered for this selected membership.

Best regards,
    Adam