WPMU Dev Dashboard Plugin

Please help me figure this one out... CustomPress nags me to install the WPMU Dev Dashboard Plugin. I can't seem to find a way to disable the nag.

When I install the Dashboard, you guys are flooding my site with WPMU fodder. Yes, it can be disabled, but it's annoying.

The real problem is that I just discovered that I am limited to 20 sites to install the Dashboard even as an Elite member. So that means that after 20 sites, I can't install the dashboard and I can't disable the nag.

Help me understand that?? Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there!

The real problem is that I just discovered that I am limited to 20 sites to install the Dashboard even as an Elite member. So that means that after 20 sites, I can't install the dashboard and I can't disable the nag.

20 is a soft limit, you can disable and enable sites as you wish here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/profile.php?page=wdpun

The nag shouldn't display with the plugin activated and you API entered.

When I install the Dashboard, you guys are flooding my site with WPMU fodder. Yes, it can be disabled, but it's annoying.

Thats only seen by you and can be disabled as you mentioned.

The meta boxes are designed to keep you up to date and give easy access to support, I can appreciate not everyone likes that.

If you wish then I can also instruct you where in the code to remove so that you don't need the Dash plugin at all?

Let me know.

• nathaningram

Also, I'm not very happy with a solution that requires me to hack a premium plugin in order to remove the nags.

I *LOVE* CustomPress and a few other plugins you guys make, but with all the recent changes, I'm becoming more and more hesitant about recommending WPMU to others.

An annual elite membership is quite expensive, and at this price, I expect not to have to deal with these kinds of things.

Thanks for your consideration.

• Timothy Bowers

Its a soft limit in that you can enable and disable sites as you please.

You can still upload the plugins to as many sites as you wish. The restriction is only on the the use of an API key.

An annual elite membership is quite expensive, and at this price, I expect not to have to deal with these kinds of things.

When I signed up as a member last year I thought it was a bargain. A plugin like CustomPress or MarketPress would cost many thousands of dollars per plugin to hire a reputable developer to code from scratch and then would still require further funds for support, maintaining the code and adding new features.

I guess its relative to the person though.

The message you refer to hasn't really changed recently.

Take care.

• nathaningram

Thanks Tim. I appreciate the reply.

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan. I really like a lot of the plugins on WPMU. I've received excellent support, on CustomPress in particular, and I've referred a lot of people to WPMU over the last few years.

You are definitely correct in that WPMUs plugins are far cheaper than hiring a dev for custom work. My point was that in comparison to other premium WordPress theme and plugin providers, WPMU is one of the more expensive options.

Also, the changes I was speaking of are what was referenced in my original post, namely the spammy metaboxes that come from the dashboard plugin that's now essentially a requirement (rather than the previous simple updater plugin) if you want to get rid of the nag. I wouldn't use Yoast's SEO for years because he did the same thing with his metaboxes in the dashboard. Ironically, he stopped doing it about the same time WPMU started.

Finally, with regard to the soft limit and being able to enable and disable sites as I please... While I might have more than 20 sites listed (with some disabled), I can still only have 20 sites enabled though. Is that right?

• Timothy Bowers

Finally, with regard to the soft limit and being able to enable and disable sites as I please... While I might have more than 20 sites listed (with some disabled), I can still only have 20 sites enabled though. Is that right?

That is correct, only 20 can be active at the moment.

You are definitely correct in that WPMUs plugins are far cheaper than hiring a dev for custom work. My point was that in comparison to other premium WordPress theme and plugin providers, WPMU is one of the more expensive options.

I do fully understand that, the price was also something which I considered when I first signed up. However over the years I've also tested the support of many others, and whilst I'm keen to not do a "we are better than..." type thing, I do think the support I got as a member was better here. Some other companies I had posts which didn't have an initial response after a week, some not at all.

With regards to the admin notice, I personally disable it myself when using for clients. When using on my own sites it doesn't bother me so much.

Take care.

• nathaningram

Timothy... above you mentioned that the WPMU nag could be removed with some code...

"Or you can code up a remove_action function to remove it with a plugin or in your theme. This would mean it works for all plugins."

What action am I removing? I've tried several things looking at the code in wpmudev-dash-notification.php but nothing seems to work.

Could you provide the code please to remove the nags?

• foodfriendfinder

nathaningram my understanding if you need more than 20 sites...say you have 55...you just have to request it
    I find WPMUdev very reasonable and easy to get satisfaction
    although I might not be a fan with many of the plugins
    I do believe support is great and they go the extra mile ( or km) especially trying to help others that have problems with non WPMUdev software
    re the nag notices...I just install it then hide it..simple
    Why fight it when there are bigger problems to solve..but that's my opinion

• nathaningram

Foodfriendfinder...

Thanks for the reply. That was the original question from the thread started a long time ago and for which I've already received an answer. My post today (directly above yours) was in reference to some code Timothy mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm looking for the code so that I can add it to my functions plugin I add to all my sites and be done with the nags for good. I'm aware of the dashboard plugin. I don't need to be reminded of it. If I wanted to install it, I would have. I hate being nagged.

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

What action am I removing? I've tried several things looking at the code in wpmudev-dash-notification.php but nothing seems to work.

Could you provide the code please to remove the nags?

The function is created within a class, the way WordPress works is it assigns a different id every load. So its a little more complex to achieve.

The plugins will check for the class wdp_un_check if it exists, then if it doesn't it display that notification so you could create a blank class for this as a custom small plugin. Then if the function exists it won't create that admin notice.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.