[WPMU DEV Dashboard] Set Up for free 3 months trial

I have found out that the Avada Theme does not work in smart crawl it does not see the text and images is there any half way solution? I understand later this will be fixed but what would be best for now?

We are used to the theme and a change to another theme may work what would you recommend?

Also, we are on a free trial for three months so when upgrade happens do we just delete old free plugins

I am trying to get to a just WPUDEV plugins only so I can evaluate the performance help on checking set up would be appreciated as we are (means me and one helper both non technical) appreciate guidence
Many Thanks John

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello John

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

As for Avada. Yes, there are still some issues with Avada unfortunately but our developers are working on that and it should be fixed with 2.2.3 version, though I can't give an ETA, I'm afraid.

As for "free vs pro". During the Trial subscription you're fully entitled to use all the plugins in full, pro versions - the same as with full paid Membership. Most of the plugins should already just "switch" to full versions once the WPMU DEV Dashboard is installed, enabled and logged in to your WPMU DEV account.

If they didn't, then yes, you can re-install them via WPMU DEV Dashboard.

If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello John

Thank you for your response!

It seems there's some issue with SmartCrawl indeed that requires it to be installed separately. You can do it via "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin, please:

- go to "Plugins -> All plugins" and find your current (free) version of SmartCrawl there and disable it
    - go to "WPMU DEV -> Plugins" page in site's back-end, type in "SmartCrawl" into the search box there and then "install" and "activate" the one that you'll find there.

It'll be a pro version and it should pick up all the current configuration.

The sitemap feature is built-in into the plugin and I'd recommend using it. However, you might want to first deactivate your current sitemap plugin and activate sitemap option in SmartCrawl.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi John,

I had a look at your site but I don't see SmartCrawl listed twice in menu or header, could you grab us a screenshot of what exactly you're seeing on your end?

You do have Pro version active, you can simply check this by going to SmartCrawl dashboard and on bottom right you will see that "Automatic Linking" is active, this is one of the options that is not available in free version so if you had free version that part would be greyed out and Upgrade to Pro notification would be showing in that field.

SEO Meta is stored in wp_postmeta tables in your database, so you could try extracting that from your backup and restoring it to your site.
    I would suggest creating a full database backup before doing this and perhaps trying it out on a staging site first.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello John

First of all, let me apologize for providing a bit misleading information about the update. I got so "used" to the plugin that I missed an important part about the update in my message. I should have told you that by "deleting" the plugin I meant disabling it on plugin list and then just removing plugin files from the server, rather than deleting via plugin list in back-end. I'm really sorry for causing the trouble and I hope you'll accept my deep apology for this.

As for the "meta stuff". Yes, the free version has the meta stuff/settings in place as well: both general settings and "in page" meta box.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• John

Hi Adam does that mean if I installer the old crawl plugin the meta descriptions would be there? There are circa 250 posts and pages with descriptions in so any help in restoring them would be appreciated

These things happen so no need to worry about that, I am also experiencing very slow response in the save function in the admin it takes about 1 to 2 mins to save

We also have put all the main plugins in place so just got to figure out how to sort them all out setting wise

Regards John

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi John,

Reverting to non-pro version will not get your data back I'm afraid, free version shouldn't have any differences and pro features should be unlocked as soon as you connect your site via WPMU DEV Dashboard.
    So both free and Pro versions remove the data from the database once they are deleted.

I'm afraid that the only way of getting the data back at this moment would be restoring wp_postmeta DB table :slight_frown:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• John

Hi again

I have ran the Hummingbird pro test it keeps showing images to be in need of improvement
    It points to certain images about 20

I have installed and ran the Smush pro including directory wp content it says all images done so why is the message showing otherwise in the report?

I mentioned this in last post I am also experiencing very slow response in the save function in the admin it takes about 1 to 2 mins to save

I have run the cache and edited some posts that has improved it but not convinced its faster

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi John,

Page speed tests has two types of reports for image optimization.

1. Compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized, that's what smushing takes care of and there only a couple of reports for this on your site, and all of those is for the images that are not hosted on your site, but loaded from external location so that's not something Smush can take care of.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.
    The second one is what's shown most in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder.
    For example, if you check your homepage under Motorhomes For Sale section there are 320x202 thumbnails loaded but the actual HTML holder of that image is only 144x91 so the image is actually twice the size that's needed and it's resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately, this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed speed test doesn't like when loaded image is larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

You can read more about this on this blog post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

As for the backend being slow, I navigated around your site while checking Chrome Dev tools and time to first bite can be quite hight on your site, it can go over 2 seconds.
    I see that you use Avada theme that has a lot of scripts and stuff that needs to be loaded, so when TTFB is affecting multiple files it will further affect your load times.

I would suggest checking with your hosting provider about this so they can check server logs and perhaps find more information about this from there.

P.S. if you have questions that are unrelated to the original post it would be best to open new chat or ticket so we can keep better track of everything and make sure that we don't miss any of your questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.