WPMU Dev Plugin Causes Plugin Updates to Fail

After installing the WPMU plugin I took a Snapshot and started running plugin updates. After the first one ran, the next ones all failed. So I refreshed the page. One might update, or it might fail. Then they would all fail to update.

I finally deactivated the WPMU plugin and all plugin updates ran perfectly...

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ellis Benus

You can't update the WPMU DEV plugins or all the plugins in general?

I have tested and updated a WPMU DEV plugin along with WP Super Cache, and can't reproduce this.

Would you please deactivate all others plugins, except WPMU DEV Dashboard, and try to update a plugin again? If the plugin is updated, activate one plugin at the time to find out what plugin is causing this conflict.

Please, follow the flowchart from our Getting Support manual.

Let us know how it went!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Ellis Benus
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I deactivated the WPMU Dev plugin and they all updated perfectly. I was updating all plugins, not just WPMU ones. I couldn't update any plugins while it was installed. This happened on 3 sites, simultaneously. All 3 I most recently added to my Hub would fail when I tried to update Plugins. I've never seen that happen before installing your plugin. I deactivated WPMU plugin and everything, on all 3 sites, updated without issue.

• Panos
    • SLS

Hello Ellis Benus ,

I can't replicate this. Just updated Akismet and two other plugins in my installation with WPMU DEV active. Have you followed Nastia's suggestion to do a plugin conflict check by having them all deactivated except of the WPMU DEV plugin?

If you have and still the plugins can't get updated, could you please grant us support access in a staging/testing site, so we can confirm this issue as we can't replicate this issue on our own installations?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Panos

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ellis Benus

Yes, of course we can leave this thread open. We can speed up this process if you downgrade any plugins of yours via FTP (it could be a deactivated plugin as well).

Just download form the plugin's page the previus version, connect to your site via FTP, go to wp-content/plugins and replace the plugin.

You can check this manual here if you need guidance how to use FTP:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/installing-regular-plugins-on-wpmu/#ftp

Check this article to see how to roll back a plugin to the previous version:
    http://dominiquej.com/how-to-downgrade-wordpress-to-previous-version/

Once you do this, leave only the WPMU DEV plugin activated and try to update the plugin. If the plugin is updated, repeat the process and downgrade the plugin again, while activating one plugin at the time to find out what plugin is causing this conflict.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ellis Benus

I'm sorry to hear that this happened again.

This is why we always suggest to update plugins on the staging sites to avoid this issue.

Would you please let us know what plugin you have updated that crashed your site? Have you restored it to the previous state? I'm asking, because, I see that your site is fully functioning right now.

I see there are 5 plugin that have new update released. Have you updated these plugins and the site has crashed?

Please advise,

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Ellis Benus

Staging site? What are you talking about? Also, did you read the previous posts on the ticket? The site didn't crash, it simply won't allow me to run plugin updates after the first one. It tells me every plugin fails to update.

Now, if I disable the WPMU Dev plugin, updates run just fine.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Ellis Benus,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for confusion going on here. My colleague Nastia means to say that if you have the staging/development version of this website where we can loin and troubleshoot this issue to ensure the changes don't effect your live website traffic.

But thanks for granting support staff access, it helped troubleshoot this issue.

I deactivated all other plugins except WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, then tried to update the plugins on update plugins page and could update multiple plugins successfully without getting any error message as seen in attached screenshot.

That means its not WPMU DEV plugin itself that is preventing to update the multiple plugins in one go. There is any other plugin on your website that is conflicting with the functionality of WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin.

I tried to make the plugin conflict but runs out of updates plugin after testing by deactivating the InfinteWP and JetPack by WordPress plugin.

Please try to run a complete plugin conflict test to find out which plugin is conflicting with WPMU DEV Dashboard or send in the FTP and WordPress admin login details to download the older version of plugins for complete troubleshooting. You can send in the details using our secure contact form in following format.

Subject: "Attn: Sajid Javed"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls
    Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :simple_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Take care and look forward towards your response Ellis :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Ellis Benus,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

The principle to update the plugins on both pages is same either on plugins page to update individually or mass update by click on update plugin link via AJAX. It is surely a third party plugin conflict with WPMU DEV Dashboard and unfortunately only way to find the culprit by making a plugin conflict test as described in getting support manual (flowchart).

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Ellis Benus

I just added a new site, and I could update 1 plugin from the Plugins page. Every other one failed if I clicked the update button on an individual plugin. This is really annoying.

The only plugin conflict is your plugin. I've done this dozens of time, and adding your plugin makes it impossible to individually update the plugins.

I can mass update all of them through the Dashboard > Updates area, but not individually update them on the Plugins page.

If I deactivate your plugin, individual updates work fine.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ellis Benus

I trust you are doing well today!

It's definitely sounds like a conflict with another plugin. Would you please send to us your credentials so we could determine with what plugin WPMU DEV Dashboard it's conflicts with, so we could provide a solution that fixes it?

Please note that in order to find what plugin causes this, we need to deactivate the plugins on your site.

You can send credentials via our secure contact form:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

IMPORTANT: Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Nastia”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

We are waiting for your email.

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.