[WPMU DEV SEO] sitemap.xml not being generated

It seems I have a similar problem as ozbod in this possibly related thread. WPMU DEV SEO is not generating any sitemap.xml files for the main site or subdomains. It was mentioned in the thread linked above that this issue could stem from an issue with a modified vhost.conf file. Here’s what I have.

Contents of vhost.conf:

Domain modified for slightly more privacy… :wink:

ServerAlias *.domain.tld
<Directory /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/>
AllowOverride FileInfo Options
php_admin_flag safe_mode off
</Directory>

Please see attached screenshots for more info. Note that screenshots are showing config of main site only – no subdomains. Directories shown in screenshots have permissions set to 755, with ownership set to the username and group set to apache (which is what apache is running as). Possibly related issue: After upgrading CentOS, WordPress asks for FTP auth info when doing “automatic” updates to plugins.

Server Config:

WPMU DEV SEO 1.1.2

Theme: WooThemes Canvas 4.1.4, Framework 4.1.5

WordPress 3.1.3 Multisite (4 subdomains, 1 for each of client’s real-worldd locations)

PHP 5.1.6

CentOS 10.2 VPS

Please let me know if any other config info is needed.

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi elRafa,

have just had a look at one of my other sites running this plugin and the path to site map is totally different, on your site and mine it currently states:

path to sitemap: /sitemap.xml

but on one of my other sites on the same host, the path is different:

/home/sites/stamfordartisansguild.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/uploads/sitemap.xml

I have asked if this could be the problem and where it could be edited, when I get an answer I will drop you a line.

Cheers

Dave

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi el Rafa,

Your scenario’s a bit different that ozbod’s and it looks like it might have to do with permissions on your uploads folder. Could you let us know what the permissions are for that (likely best done by checking using an FTP program)?

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks for clarifying that el Rafa, I should have noticed that amid everything else you provided, as you really did supply a lot of information, which is great. I’ll ask one of the the developers to look at this, as I just can’t see a reason it wouldn’t work in this case.

Thanks for your patience!

David

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

El Rafa,

sitemap.xml all fixed, there is a new version of the plugin, install it and you will see on step 2 of the setup that you can enter to full path to your uploads manually in a box now, make sure you end the path with:

/sitemap.xml or it wont work.

but yes I gotta sitemap now.

Good luck

cheers

Dave

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks for mentioning the new version Dave. I believe that should resolve this issue as well.

el Rafa, could you give the recent update a go and let us know if you’re still experiencing trouble with it? It should resolve things here, but just let us know if the issue still persists and we’ll take a look.

Thanks,

David

• el Rafa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi guys –

Sorry about the delay on this one.

Here’s what’s happening now:

1. After trying a lot of different things, I can only get the sitemap.xml to generate if I set the permissions wide open on the uploads folder (777)… Is this by design?

2. I don’t see a way to exclude certain pages or edit change frequency or priority %. Am I missing something?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

I’m glad to hear you managed to solve the problem. The plugin doesn’t require any special permissions on your uploads folder by design, other then it has to be writable by your PHP installation (so the plugin can create files there). Being writable can mean different permissions – 755 or 777, depending on your specific setup.

As for excluding certain pages and changing frequency and priority, the plugin doesn’t do that yet.

• el Rafa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks V, good to know.

Can you offer any tips on how to modify my setup to get it working with permissions set to 755? I’d rather not leave my upload folder open for the world. Please let me know if you need more configuration details than what I provided in my original post.

By the way, I don’t use my index page as my blog, so it doesn’t seem to make sense for it to have the change frequency set to “daily”. Is there another reason this is the unchangeable default setting?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi el Rafa,

Sorry we missed your prior questions! I’ll look into them with you here.

As for the permissions settings, is there any way you can find out from your host why 777 is required in such a case? It seems to be totally dependent on how the server’s setup.

And could you please clarify what you mean regarding the update frequency and your index page? Do you mean the update of the sitemap file itself?

Thanks,

David

• el Rafa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for getting back to me David!

I’m looking into why this would require 777. In this particular case I’m using a VPS so it may be something I did. If you (or someone else that’s a server expert there at WPMU dev) can check out my config details in my original post again and make some suggestions, that would be awesome.

As for the update frequency question, this might help:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=183668

Also, take a look at this for good example usage of these features:

http://mashable.com/sitemap.xml

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya el Rafa,

Just updating you here to let you know that Vlad has completely rewritten the sitemap module for this plugin. We have a release coming out shortly which should address the issues you’re experiencing. It’s difficult to account for all the various server configurations and multi-site setups that are out there, but the new version should be much more flexible (and some cool new options thrown in to boot).

Expect a release in the very near future. Thanks for all your feedback!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.