WPMU DEV updates problem

Question 1. I'm new to this, every-time I load a plugin into my muplugins folder I add update-notifications.php for updates but FTP overwrites it everytime. Do I need to rename update-notifications.php for every plugin or just overwrite it everytime????

Question 2. I hit update in WPMU DEV under admin and I get this:

Permission Denied
Not Found / No Access

The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access it.

Thank you

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya and Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sorry about the confusion, let's see if we can get this cleared up. ;D

Do I need to rename update-notifications.php for every plugin or just overwrite it everytime?

Just once is sufficient. It's included with each download from the site here so that regardless of what plugin you grab it is available to be installed. Install it once, and then don't worry about it unless an update for the "updates notification" plugin is released. Speaking of which...

I hit update in WPMU DEV under admin and I get this:
    Permission Denied
    Not Found / No Access

This plugin is actually in the midst of a bit of an overhaul. The developers are working hard to put out an update to fix this and tweak a few other things. The plugin should update itself correctly every 24 hours or so, but this is an issue that other have reported as well and we're on it! :smiley:

Thanks for your question and feedback!

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Last I knew, the update notifications plugin is known to not be working correctly. Not sure what the status on it is currently.

Have to admit though that I wouldn;t be using the plugin (or Automattic's built in upgrade either) even if it did work. Especially on a live site. You should be testing on a testbed first to make sure you have no conflicts, no errors or bugs, and no other problems. And then updating the live site.

Kind of like having a complete stranger walk up to you on the street and inject you with an unlabeled syringe.

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Notifications work, I just signed in to see it in action! I haven't tried the auto update yet but wanted to make a suggestion if possible.

Could there be a download update option next to the upgrade button? So I could then load it through ftp etc?

• blogmilla
    • New Recruit

I am also a newbie ... launched a multisite yesterday. Have notice that there are numerous WPMUDEV updates and I am confused about installing them. When I click on the link in the dashboard to install the update, it doesn't seem to work. Is there a tutorial somewhere about this?

• Aaron
    • CTO

First, welcome to WPMU DEV! We're glad you're here.

If it's autoupdate capable, then there will be an autoupdate link. Otherwise the link will take you to the download page where you need to download and update it manually following the instructions. Once you do one or two I promise it will be easy for you.

If you run into trouble please start a new thread here, thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.