WPMU Dev website incredibly slow

Just lately (the last few weeks) the WPMU Dev website has been incredibly slow.

I want to use this website to manage my backups and also manage plugin updates etc., but it’s just far too slow to do that at the moment.

Is this a known issue and will it be fixed?

I’m in the UK.

Thanks

Shaun

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the feedback, we’re currently working on some improvements to our site since some speed issues have been popping up lately, we’re still looking for a culprit here since it doesn’t happen to everyone.

As for backups, those are not stored on same server so there’s no need to worry about that.

Let us know if you have any followup questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predrag

• Shaun
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

The website is still painfully, excruciatingly slow. It took about 2 minutes for me to log in and another 60 seconds to get to this page.

I can’t use The Hub like this, when are you going to fix it?

Regards

Shaun

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shaun!

We’re constantly working on site development and on our infrastructure. We didn’t have many reports on these issues recently but let’s see how this relates to your particular case. Having that said, I’d like to ask you if you are using a static IP to access our sites and if so if you could tell me what is it?

Also, are you always accessing our site from the same location/device or from different locations and/or devices?

Finally, does this apply to The Hub only or to all sites (like this forum, our blog)?

Let me know please.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shaun!

Thank you for your replay. The number of sites may indeed affect this and I know that our developers are working on improving this. However I believe there should not be that significant slow down.

I just took a look at the list of the sites that are registered with yiour account and I see quite many of them are not fully up to date. I’m thinking if you could try to make sure that at least plugins such as

– WPMU DEV Dashboard

– Defender

– Snapshot

– WP Smush Pro

– Hummingbird

are up to date wherever they are installed (they make connections to our API servers) and see if that changes the speed. Also, make sure that all the notifications (the “bell” icon at the top bar on the left of you avatar) in The Hub are “cleared out”.

Could you check that and let me know if that affected the speed please?

Best regards,

Adam

• Shaun

Hi,

The Hub is totally unusable for me, and I keep getting “We are currently over capacity” messages.

I get cURL errors when trying to remove sites, which may be related to the fact that I’m using Cloudflare and their SSL? Can you please look into my account and let me know if that is the problem?

Thanks

Shaun

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Shaun,

There were quite a few changes and improvements in HUB since this thread was first started and there shouldn’t be any speed issues anymore.

Did you had these issues constantly since this thread was opened or they were gone and now back again?

Does the cURL error shows with each site you try to remove or just a specific one?

Can you tell me which error exactly you’re getting?

I will ping someone from sysadmins to check your account but getting them as much info as possible will help with determining the cause.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Shaun

Hi,

There are definitely still speed issues! It’s been constant since I created this thread.

Does the cURL error shows with each site you try to remove or just a specific one?

It doesn’t always happen. I can’t reproduce it now (it takes about 2 minutes of loading to remove a site so can’t keep trying it)

Can you tell me which error exactly you’re getting?

Not sure sorry can’t reproduce it. It was a cURL SSL error.

Please let me know if you can fix this, it’s meaning I cannot use your site.

Regards

Shaun

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shaun!

The “We are currently over capacity” messages are temporary only and should be happening very rarely. They come from a Content Delivery Network, not our servers, so even though our admins always act in these cases as fast as possible, there’s sometimes not much that can be done.

However, as for the cURL error – I do realize that it may be difficult to reproduce that “on demand” but it would be very helpful if we knew what exact error there is. cURL may be reporting multiple different errors and depending on that there are different ways to handle it. It would be great if you could give it some more tries and note down (or take a screenshot of it) the error when it shows up.

Could you also please double-check that there’s no firewall or that kind of security layer enabled on your server that could be blocking requests to our servers?

Kind regards,

Adam

• Shaun

Hi,

I am getting the “over capacity” message almost every time I try to load a page. It must be to do with the slowness.

We do have a firewall but it’s not blocking – the Hub does work it’s just incredibly slow.

Even loading this page to write my reply took 2 tries (the first try I got ‘over capacity’:wink: and about 2 minutes for it to load.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shaun!

The “over capacity” message that you are getting – it’s the page with a black background or with blue background? I know it sounds weird but I’m asking this because it will tell me for sure whether it comes from our servers or from CDN in front of them.

Can you also tell me please where are you located physically?

Best regards,

Adam

• caleb.mkdaman
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I faced the same problem (speed issues) with one of my completed website designs using UF or at least, its child theme (Spirit). I didn’t see any black or blue backgrounds, as you did, Shaun, but I was disappointed that EVEN with CloudFlare (and subsequently, a CDN service), the page load time was really, really sloth-like.

I wouldn’t fault WPMU Dev for the slowness, although using Hummingbird and minifying images and CSS didn’t suffice (for me). But sometimes, I reckon the issue has to do with your web hosting service provider (or sometimes even your ISP). In your case, that seems likely to be the chief cause, though I cannot account for the slow page loading speed! I hope that your problem gets resolved and you get back up to Godspeed. It’s no fun having to wait and wait and wait, just to fix a few bugs and then having to go through the same ordeal the next time another issue pops up. Cheers and all the best to you!

Sincerely,

Caleb

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Shaun,

Based on the info it looks like the issue is coming from CloudFlare, I’ll need to further check this with our sysadmins.

In the meantime can you try using VPN to access the site from “remote” location, just so we can see if that would make any difference and it might help us pinpointing the issue.

ZenMate is an add-on for browser that will allow you to easily do this and switch your conutry of access, you can find it here:

Chrome – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-vpn-best-cyber-se/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en

Firefox – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zenmate-security-privacy-vpn/

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Shaun

Hi,

I tried it with a VPN and it’s still really slow. Getting black screen all the time.

It must be that your service is having trouble connecting to my websites. Maybe it is Cloudflare. Please look into it as soon as you can, your site is unusable at the moment :slight_frown:

Regards

Shaun

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Shaun,

hope you’re doing good and don’t mind me chiming in here! :slight_smile:

There were some changes from our sysadmins about this (and they’re keep working on this), are you still experiencing a slow Hub page? Please advise!

If you still getting over capacity black error screens, could you please activate Chrome’s Dev Tools (right click and “inspect”:wink: and check the console for any HTTP error codes like 504 or 522 etc.

A screenshot of those would be awesome!

Finally, please provide us your public IP address just in case our sysadmins want to check anything. Let us know if this is a static or not address.

Warm regards,

Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.